Melody's Reviews > Zeitoun

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: second-monday-bookgroup, non-fiction, hurricane
Read from June 06 to 07, 2010

I read this book while watching thick gooey tar-balls wash up on my beloved Gulf of Mexico beaches. Watching another disaster roll in on a community that I felt I belonged to was so similar to watching the hurricane target its eye on my sweet New Orleans. Oh yes – they’re mine – those beaches and those bourboned scented streets. What happens to them and to the life and culture of the Gulf region and the Crescent City happens to my soul. Zeitoun is the story of the aftermath of Katrina and the physical, cultural, and human toll caused by nature and human error and misplaced priorities. The memory of that time is too fresh. The parallels with the Gulf apocalypse is far too close. Maybe I should have chosen something more upbeat to read next other than War and Peace?

And the fact that the main character in the book has now been arrested for plotting the murder of his wife makes this all the more a downer.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zeitoun.

message 1: by Jennifer (aka EM) (last edited Jun 12, 2010 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (aka EM) will we get a review of this, Melody? (I quite like eggers but am waiting for the paperback)

ETA: ahhh, I see it's out. *toddles off to book store*

Melody Yes I will definitely review it. I've been at the beach. The one with the nasty oil spew (Gulf Shores) and so I read instead of reviewed.

message 3: by B0nnie (new) - added it

B0nnie The news of the murder plot really puts me off reading this book.