Lizzy's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Marley Gibson

Aug 17, 09

bookshelves: books-i-own

It took me a while to get into this book. In fact, at first I was worried that I wasn't going to like it at all. Generally, I'm a fan of paranormal lit, as well as TV shows (I secretly love watching Ghost Hunters). So, that meant I understood most of the technical terms that were thrown around. Since the first half of the book was spent introducing characters, and ghost hunting tech, that could be a reason why it wasn't holding my interest. The first half also chronicles Kendall's discovery of her new found abilities, and trying to cope with the fact that she can see and talk to spirits.

I think my main issue was the language used by the teens. Seeing "BRB" as part of a conversation, or extended vowels (i.e "yeeeeeeah") really pulled me out of the story. While I'm sure some teens talk like that, I've personally never heard it. There were also a lot of brand names mentioned in the descriptions. While I appreciate what the author was trying to do (hey, who doesn't love a little more description in books), I personally would rather read more description of the surroundings as opposed to the clothes. It feels awkward, because I never think to myself "I'm wearing _________ brand jeans and a cute top from _____". In the second half it had toned down, possibly because that was when the action began. So, I was able to concentrate more on the story.

Overall the book was okay. It's the start to a series, and I'm looking forward to book two, Ghost Huntress: The Guidance. Now that the author doesn't have to introduce the characters and tech, I think that the story will flow more. Definitely an interesting read if you want to learn a little bit more about ghost hunting, or feel like getting creeped out right before bed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.