Raina's Reviews > The London Eye Mystery

The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

Dec 06, 10

bookshelves: funny, j, realistic, mystery, not-amerika, quirky-kids
Read in August, 2009

I'd give this one 3.5 stars if I could. This is a totally unique mystery, and I admire a lot about it. It didn't grab me like most of the books I give four stars, but there's too much good about it to give it a simple three.
Ted's mind is on "a different operating system than most people." Based on the evidence in the book, I believe he's high-functioning autistic or Asbergers. Anyway, because he thinks differently than the rest of us, he's better at sorting through clues and putting facts together to solve the mystery of his missing cousin. There are twists and turns, family awkwardness/realistic squabbles, a little bit of action. It starts a bit slow, and is heavily entrenched in Londonness. I really enjoyed such a quirky narrator (reminds me of Owl in Love or the Emma-Jean Lazarus... books, but with a boy narrator) in a mystery context, in such a definite geographical setting, with such believable relationships. Definitely a keeper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The London Eye Mystery.