Michael's Reviews > The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness

The Joy of Living by Yongey Mingyur

Aug 25, 09

bookshelves: philosophy, 2000s
Read in August, 2009

This book does several nifty things. First, it shows how concepts from Buddhism and contemporary scientific studies agree with each other. Then, it discusses some studies on people in meditation. It turns out that meditation, when done by people who have done it for a long time and are good at it, makes people incredibly happy and peaceful. (This isn't big news, but it's cool to hear how science has proven this.)

Then, the book discusses meditation techniques with a level of detail and clarity that is unsurpassed in...well, in the five or six books on meditation that I've read. I'd never been given permission to meditate for two or three minutes before; I was always under the impression that meditation needed to be a half hour or so in order for it to be valid. According to Yongey, that's not true.

The Joy of Living is a quick, easy to read book that's highly informative. If the subject matter interests you, I'd recommend it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy of Living.

08/17/2009 page 58