Rachael's Reviews > The Red Scarf

The Red Scarf by Kate Furnivall

2620271
Sep 09, 2009

bookshelves: addictive, adult-fiction, fiction, slightly-tear-inducing, sweet-sweet-romance
Recommended for: Anyone
Read in September, 2009

I really enjoyed this book. It was a real on-the-edge-of-your-seat kind of book which is just what i like. It's also a very romantic book which is always good. Combine these two factors and you're bound to get a very enjoyable read.

It is based in Communist Russia in 1933 and it intruduces you to the two main characters, Sophia and Anna who are best friends inside a hidious and brutal labour camp. Anna tells sophia many stories of her past and of Vasily (a boy she loves) to help pass the time and block out the awful world around them. After Anna becomes extremely ill with TB and it is clear she will not survive much longer, Sophia decides to try and escape so that she can find the wonderful Vasily and rescue Anna (Always a great kind of story line). Sophioa then has to travel for hundreds of miles to the small village of Tivil where she is told Vasily is now living. She then manages to build a life for herself in Tivil and falls in love with a factory owner. It's all very lovely (and sometimes not too lovely), and you begin to wonder whether she will ever get round to saving Anna.

But yes, this is a great novel. Kate Furnivall really captures the mood of the time and there's a really great twist at the end. It's a really exciting novel and has all the aspects a novel should have. It also made me cry a good few time as well which is a bonus i feel. It's great to know that the emotions portrayed in a book are really moving you. I also found myself engulfed by the novel fairly early on which is always good. I find it very annoying when you have to wait for a novel to get good. I found that this story captured my attention right away and did not let go even after i turned the final pages of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Scarf.