Kemper's Reviews > Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Batman by Neil Gaiman

Aug 17, 09

bookshelves: comics, superhero

Neil Gaiman writing a swan song for Batman should be a monster geek out for me, but I'm so tired of the comic industry making event comics out of killing (and later resurrecting) major characters. See Marvel's Captain America for a recent example. Plus this somehow fits into yet another huge continuity reboot that DC is doing that I don't have the time or patience to try and understand. I'm not sure if Batman is supposed to be alive or dead at this point, but since it doesn't matter because he'll be back one way or another shortly, I really don't care.

So even though Neil Gaiman has written a surreal love letter to Batman that gives shout-outs to the various phases of the classic versions of the character we've gotten over the years, the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe they could have just begged Gaiman to take over the book for a while and write some Batman stories that didn't involve killing him or pretending to kill him? Nah, that would have made too much sense...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent The problem with super hero comics is that no matter what happens, the next writer can come along and undo it. It doesn't help that most of the fan base is resistant to any change or character development.

Kemper Dan wrote: "The problem with super hero comics is that no matter what happens, the next writer can come along and undo it. It doesn't help that most of the fan base is resistant to any change or character dev..."

Agreed. That's my major gripe because whenever they do something big, it's guaranteed that they'll reverse it later to get back to baseline. The Captain America death was actually getting really interesting but now that they're bringing him back, I feel like I wasted time reading it.

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent That's why I take breaks from comics every few years. It gets tiresome knowing nothing will ever really change.

Kemper Same here. I'd gotten away from DC and Marvel after the comic's bust in the mid '90s, and just spent a few years catching up again, but now I think it's time for another hiatus because I'm turning into the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons...

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent I'm about due for another hiatus myself. $3.99 is too much to pay for five minutes of marginally entertaining reading.

Kemper I quit buying the individual comics because of the price and because storing them was just such a pain in the ass. I wait for the collected trade paperbacks and get most from the library. That helps keep my habit down to a reasonable spend.

Justin I've got one rule when it comes to reading a comic: Is this a good story? At this point, continuity can taake a flying leap. If it contributes to telling a good story, fantastic. If it doesn't, I don't care.