Laura's Reviews > People of the Book

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Jul 23, 2014

bookshelves: passport-books, art-fiction, historical-mystery, historical-fiction, read-2010, books-on-books, australian-fiction
Recommended to Laura by: Hayes
Read from October 30 to 31, 2010

Just arrived from Rome, kindly sent by Hayes.

From Wikipedia:

The Sarajevo Haggadah is an illuminated manuscript that contains the illustrated traditional text of the Passover Haggadah which accompanies the Passover Seder. It is one of the oldest Sephardic Haggadahs in the world, originating in Barcelona around 1350. The Haggadah is presently owned by the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Sarajevo, where it is on permanent display.[1]
The Sarajevo Haggadah is handwritten on bleached calfskin and illuminated in copper and gold. It opens with 34 pages of illustrations of key scenes in the Bible from creation through the death of Moses. Its pages are stained with wine, evidence that it was used at many Passover Seders. In 1991 it was appraised at US$7 million[2]
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.

10/31/2010 page 194

message 1: by Hayes (new)

Hayes You have a copy of this? I'm reading it now... can send it to you.

Laura you don't mind? By tell me which book of mine you would like to receive also.

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I will take a look, but I am sooooo overloaded with books. I think another GR friend here in Italy would like to read it and then I will have her send it to you.

message 4: by Laura (last edited Sep 28, 2010 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura then send to your friend then. I must add some books in my inventory at BM since my bookshelves are quite crowded.

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes My buddy said she has her own copy... so I will send it on to you! :-) Yay.. travelling books!! I love it and live vicariously through the travels that my books make!!

Laura I also love to send my books overseas specially to avid readers like me.

Lisa Vegan Laura, This book was excellent. I think that you'd enjoy it.

Laura thanks Lisa!! another good reason to read it as soon as possible.