Kevin's Reviews > Quozl

Quozl by Alan Dean Foster

Aug 17, 09

bookshelves: juvenilia
Read in January, 1995

ADF frequently goes the "comedic" route, but it never works for me. He has a knack for pleasing prose, really he does, but he's fatally bland, and his attempts at humor and horror fall flat. Space opera is his forte; I may knock something like "The Tar-Aiym Krang" or "Icerigger", but if you want a rousing silly scifi adventure they're go-to books. But he aims too low when he goes for broad accessibility, and this, at best, is what he comes up with: bunny rabbit aliens.
There is a not-bad satirical bit deep into the novel that perhaps I shouldn't spoil, but oh I will, in which one of a pair of children, the only people on earth who know that the harmless Quozl have settled underground, uses them as fodder for a crappy children's tv show.
You know, since Vern has turned his knowledge of Seagalogy into cold hard cash, I ought to cash in on my Alandeanfosterological research. Cause baby, I read it all. I read the novelizations of Outland and The Last Starfighter. I all the goddamn Commonwealth books, and then he went and wrote more of them. I read his short fiction and Into the Out Of and To the Vanishing Point, I read Parallelities and Greenthieves, fucking everthing. Glory Lane? Check. All his books. I must have thought there would be a test. Then I stopped reading, and he kept writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quozl.