LJ's Reviews > Below Zero

Below Zero by C.J. Box

Aug 16, 2009

bookshelves: contemporary_post_1945, licensed_investigator, male_author, mystery, wyoming
Read in July, 2009

First Sentence: Marshall and Sylvia Hotle, who like to list their places of residence as Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Quartzsite, Arizona, and “the open road,” were preparing dinner when they saw the dark SUV will Illinois plates drive by on the access road for the third time in less than an hour.

Six years ago, the Pickett’s foster daughter, April, was killed in the massacre of a survivalist group. Or was she? April is been texting the Pickett’s oldest daughter, Sherry, and that “bad” things have been happening. A father a son are on the road leaving behind them a trail of violence and death.

Joe Pickett and his family are come of my favorite characters. Through the series, they continue to grow and change. While some may be tired of them, I like that they have weathered their challenges and grown as individual characters and as a family. Joe and his wife have gone through difficult times, worked through them and come out the other side, having had to make compromises and adapt.

I very much enjoyed Joe’s incomprehensive of texting and internet technology, but I also liked the way Box educated us and Joe at the same time with information on cell phone location. And I love Nate.

The girl was intriguing; a mystery in herself, she was smart, tough and resourceful—a great characters. The father and son may have been a bit over the top, but added the tension, suspense and action they story needed.

Box presents a strong message about the changing environment and global warming but I didn’t feel beat over the head with it. As ever, he gave a very strong sense of place which adds dimension to the story.

All the elements worked together with an excellent twist at the end. Box, once again, has assured his place on my ‘must buy’ list.

BELOW ZERO (Lic. Inv-Joe Pickett-Wyoming-cont) – Ex
Box, C.J. – 9th in series
Putnam, 2009, US Hardcover – ISBN: 978-0399155758

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Below Zero.

11/13/2016 marked as: read