Lesley's Reviews > Doppelganger

Doppelganger by Marie Brennan

Aug 20, 2009

liked it
Read in August, 2009

So I read this book because a friend had lent me the second one in the series, and she usually gives me pretty good stuff, so I went searching for the first one in the library.

The nice thing about this book is that it is a fantasy novel with a fresh, new concept, interesting social structure, and not a bad magic system, had no annoying stereotypes (that I can think of offhand), and I hadn't felt like I'd already read it a million times before. And while the writing style was such that I pretty much knew what would happen and nothing was much of a surprise, the concept was pretty interesting, and I enjoyed reading it. Basic concept - a witch can't come to full power until she kills her doppleganger. But this particular witch's doppleganger is a bad-ass assassin. And there's some political machinations going on, but nobody is really sure what they are or who's doing them.

Overall, I liked it. Not to the point where I'm salivating for the second one, but I will read it. I thought the concept was interesting - enough so that I would stay up late reading instead of going to bed. And yet, it wasn't with that avid excitement you sometimes get when you just can't put it down.

I guess I could describe my reaction somewhat like my reaction to Jurassic Park - I thought the concept was pretty interesting and all, but the writing style just didn't get me fired up. In Michael Chrichton's (sp??) case, I was bored to DEATH with his writing style - the same for Stephen King. I basically like the movie versions of their works better. With Doppleganger, it wasn't to that extreme - I certainly wasn't bored or annoyed with the writing style - just not very excited.

Long story short - I enjoyed it, and it was definitely worth my time, and I will read the rest of the series because the concept is interesting and the characters are likeable. But if I really want to get excited I'll read some Eyeshield 21 or the 4th book in the Nightrunner series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doppelganger.