Res's Reviews > Assassin's Apprentice

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Apr 11, 07

bookshelves: sff
Read in January, 2004

A very few rough spots, and I had some problems with Regal turning out that ruthless (not to mention being allowed to live afterwards), but on the whole I liked it very much. Wish the rest of the trilogy had been this good, or that there'd been more (or any) character development for Fitz.

I liked the royal intrigue -- all the conflicts that pivot around Fitz. And it had the advantage of providing a pleasant intellectual workout without any of the characters having to be unrealistically intelligent.

There's a problem with Galen blocking Fitz's Skill, but it's hard to see how she could have solved that within the POV without losing the suspense. But it's hard enough to believe that the character in time would forget how good he had been before it happened -- putting it in first person past tense means that the character in the present (telling the story) also has to leave that part out and not mention it.

A particular pleasure: the way Fitz thinks and observes when he reports to Chade.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Apprentice.