Laura's Reviews > Brisingr

liked it
bookshelves: own, 2009, 2011
Read from July 28 to 30, 2011 , read count: 3, a contar c/ 30/07/2011

28-30/07/2011: re-read.

Contains spoilers from previous books.

Brisingr gives, just as its predecessor, Eldest , continuity to Eragon's story, in this case, after fighting with Murthag and discovered their kinship.
I took a long time writing this review, I must confess, because I fear it will become repetitive about both the positive and negative aspects. This being said, I warn you this review will be smaller than the usual.

I think the positive aspects are quite similar to the usual ones: there is a noticeable growth of Eragon and Saphira in a very obvious way, even if they aren't always correct; they are much more mature and start to think in a way that captivates me: everybody has to be happy, so they need to find a way of satisfying all of them without making someone angry. More than that, Eragon and Saphira have to understand when people are trying to manipulate them and how to avoid it graciously. Let's face it, it's not always easy to do so.

Besides, nevertheless some curious but unsurprising discoveries (Paolini, I repeat, is very predictable!), the story starts to make more sense. It's like many of the pieces are falling in the right place and the needed solutions are, now, possible to find.

Despite all this, the usual critics also deserve a spot in this review: extremely predictable, connections with other works, insufficient descriptions (although, I might add, Paolini's writing improves - or maybe I'm just way too used to it...), and there are some chapters from other character's point of view again (but, being more separated from each other, they become a lot more bearable).

The other positive points I would like to add are specific to moments of this volume, but it's not necessary to add them, since you are still able to understand my point of view.

As a conclusion, my review about this volume is still very similar to the one made to the second volume, not because I don't know what to say, but because it's a very similar opinion. This is, very likely, my favourite volume so far, but, as I said, that is related to the story, not with any other aspect. Despite all that, there isn't such a big diference between book two and three so, as I did to Eldest, I give this book three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brisingr.

08/18/2009 page 191