Karah's Reviews > The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: mystery, favorites
Read in September, 2011

Okay, I LOVED this book! I rarely give 5 star ratings, but I thought this book was "amazing" (to justify the 5 star goodreads criteria). Diane Chamberlain captured my interest immediately, and I was held captive until the final page.

The story takes place in North Carolina, where a man is about to be convicted of the 1977 murder of a woman and her unborn child. However, minutes before the man is convicted, a woman comes forward to say that she can prove he is innocent--because she was there. The woman has been living underground and caring for the infant as her own child ever since. --Don't worry, that isn't a spoiler as the author basically starts here and then goes back in time-- explaining the events that led up to that unfortunate evening.

I love how Chamberlain took us back in time, and therefore, allows the readers to fall in love with the "felon" who really was a victim herself. I found myself empathizing with her, although never quite understanding how she could make the choices she did. I rooted for her and was really fearful for her when her world seemed to be crashing down around her. Because of this, I had a hard time putting this book down. It was one of those books where I felt a tad disappointed to come to the final page because it meant I had to say goodbye to these characters that I had come to care about. (I know, that is really nerdy of me but I kind of love it when it happens)

If you need a "good" book, one that grips you and holds your attention, then I would highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes.