Jess's Reviews > The Amaranth Enchantment

The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry

Aug 27, 09

bookshelves: juv, fairy-tales, fantasy
Read in August, 2009

What a fun, quick read. While not explicitly based on any fairy tale, it has that feel, and I would recommend it to fans of Ella Enchanted and Shannon Hale. Although the heroine is fifteen, the story is fairly simple and sweet in a way that makes it appropriate for younger readers, but would also give it appeal to teen girls looking for a fun rags-to-riches fantasy. I had wondered, ordering it, if it would be age appropriate for my 4th-8th grade collection, and it seems like a perfect fit. I have a few minor quibbles - a too-perfect prince, for example, while the thief boy was delightfully flawed. It also didn't have quite as much emotional depth as something like Beauty A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast, but it's one of those books where you don't quite notice that until you've gulped it down. I'm just waiting for a young patron to ask for fairy tale retellings so I can point her to this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amaranth Enchantment.