Jasmin's Reviews > The Mist

The Mist by Stephen King

F_50x66
Aug 16, 09

Read in October, 2008

** spoiler alert ** People (including, of course, some crazies) are trapped inside a supermarket by forces unknown. Anyone who ventures outside the market is killed by these monsters that came out of the mist (which came out of places unknown). But the main character has a vague sense of where he needs to go, so he gets some other people who also want to leave for no good reason and almost gets killed running to a car so that he can drive...somewhere. But he knows there are more people...somewhere...because of a clear station on the radio. Yeah. The end.

This book is a head-scratcher. This mist comes in from God only knows where, and somehow floats in various monsters with it. And though everyone who leaves the supermarket that the main character's trapped in dies, our extremely dim-witted protagonist decides to leave anyway. I really just don't understand this novel. It was the first I read by Stephen King and, to say the least, I wasn't impressed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mist.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deniz (last edited Nov 20, 2010 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deniz I am not sure if you have understood some basic things about the story.

"so he gets some other people who also want to leave for no good reason"

It is beyond me why you did not clear this out as it is perfectly explained in the book. People are gathering around the crazy religious woman and she is pointing her blaming finger at the hero and his son for all the doomed things befallen on the supermarket stayers. Another night and his son and, probably himself and his friends, will be mob-killed like the soldier. Besides, the supermarket is starting to fall into its pieces, the creatures are getting closer to break down the windowpanes and attack the people every night. There is no hope in staying there, only delaying the inevitable.

"the main character has a vague sense of where he needs to go,"

Again clearly stated in the story. No help, no aid, a visit to the doomed pharmacist next door clearly shows that this mist is probably not local, much more pervasive with unknown limits as to where it ends. Otherwise the Army or any other help should be due; at least people should have probably arrived , it is a busy tourist town at the peak of its season. But there is no living creature (no pun intended) other than the monsters outside. Do not forget that it was 1982, no cell phones etc. Besides the hero has a sense of going his home and finding his wife (or her pieces). Again, going out is more a hopeless escape from the crazies in the market than a venture for escape from creatures.

"which came out of places unknown"

The book hints that it was probably an experiment that has gone wrong in the Army facilities nearby after the huge storm. The creatures were probably from another dimension. But we are trapped with the shoppers in the market so we also don't know nothing. This adds a certain sense of doom and bleakness.

I think you should go over the book and read it in a more focused way. Your puzzlements are all clearly telegraphed from page one. This review is fairly unfair. Either you have read it without much attention, say, while chatting over with your friends or this is not type of your book.

Jasmin Deniz wrote: "I think you should go over the book and read it in a more focused way."

Actually, I think you should go back and read my review in a more focused way. Sure it's not wonderfully written or very positive, but some of your arguments against it reinterpret it in ways I didn't intend or just come down to a matter of opinion. For instance, I said "so he gets some other people who also want to leave for no good reason." Your reply would be very apt, if I had, instead, said that they left for no reason at all. But I said that they didn't have a good reason. And that, my friend, just comes down to a matter of opinion. Sure the frantic religious lady and her followers were getting very violent, and yes, those creatures would have come back that same night. But, personally, I'd rather remain in a semi-safe place with some people who are capable of thought and sanity than venture out into a mysterious world full of dangerous carnivorous creatures without any real protection. So, to me, that's not a good reason to leave.

I said "the main character has a vague sense of where he needs to go. And you pointed out that he did want to go home and find his wife. That's true, but I wasn't referring to that part of the novel. My fault for making that unclear. You also pointed out that the mist couldn't be local, and that there are no cell phones, and that they wanted to escape the crazies but none of that proves that they do not have a very vague sense of where they need to go. That shows that they felt the need to leave, not that they have anywhere to go. There's a difference.

I said "which came out of places unknown." You pointed out that the books hint that something has gone wrong and that they may have come out of another dimension. But that is a vague as it gets. First of all, they may have come from another Army experiment. Secondly, we really don't know where this other dimension is. So I think I'll stick with my assessment that they came from "places unknown." The last couple sentences of that paragraph are pure opinion, and, even if I disagree, there's no use arguing about it.

The review isn't unfair in the least. You just have a problem with it because I have a problem with it.

Scott Emigh I'm with Deniz on this. Your review was pretty baseless. He called you out on the flaws in your review and your rebuttal was pretty weak and seemed like you were simply trying to cover your butt and avoid admitting you're wrong. "You just have a problem with it because I have a problem with it." The same could be said in regards to you and his comment.