Mateo's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

M 50x66
Aug 17, 2009

bookshelves: summer-reading-list

The main character is Holden. He is in a mental hospital. The book is a flashback of his life. The reader does not know this until the end of the novel. He gets expelled from Pency. It is not the first school that has expelled him. Holden has a younger sister, Phoebe, and an older brother, D.B. who is a screenplay writer in Hollywood. After getting kicked out of Pency, Holden must go home and tell his parents. Instead of deciding to face them with his failure, he wanders around the streets of New York City and gets into a lot of issues with his family and others.
I can relate to Holden because when someone dies like Holden's other brother died of Leukemia, I can't get over it after a long time. This problem probably happens to everyone so lot of people would know how Holden feels. Holden's flash backs remind me of my flash backs, like when my grandfather died.
I rated this book 4 stars because even though it was really good, it was hard to read. It was choppy at some parts but then the story got smooth. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes reading novels. Also to anyone that likes reading adult books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.