David's Reviews > Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love

Career Renegade by Jonathan Fields

M 50x66
Aug 16, 09

liked it

fairly realistic, relentlessly detailed [amazing level of step-by-step instructions on using Internet search tools as part of your market research:] guide to turning hobbies/passions into a living. He doesn't discuss much whether someone without manic energy could actually devote this much time to developing his/her "brand" through blogging about the passion etc. while still holding on to day job, but otherwise the advice was unusually level-headed.

there's a fair share of "go for it; live the dream" talk, and a few successful examples (his own success in starting a yoga studio, a woman who got started doing art lessons for her kid and eventually was franchising a Young Rembrandts curriculum for others to teach kids art) arise repeatedly to illustrate the value of various suggestions, but for the most part he sticks to concrete, seemingly reasonable advice.

In the end it did not persuade me to terminate my teaching job in favor of trying to "monetize" my hobby of distance running, but for anyone in a position to consider such a move I think this would be a better read than the usual business-hero book about overgeneralizing the life lessons that can be extracted from the fact that tough-guy X was in charge of some large company during a bull market that ran up its paper value.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Career Renegade.