Laura Morriss's Reviews > The Letters of John and Abigail Adams

The Letters of John and Abigail Adams by Abigail Adams

Nov 12, 07

Read in November, 2007

My favorite thing about these letters is that you get idea that our founding fathers were actually real people with everyday problems, not one dimensional figures that you read about in high school American history textbooks. Long before John and Abigail Adams were our president and first lady, they were a lawyer and a housewife with four small children and a working farm forced into separation for the good part of a decade by John's desire to serve his fledgling country. In their letters, they fret about money and their children's education, gossip about friends, neighbors, and colleagues, make inside jokes, scold each other for this and that, pine for each other longingly, and generally ask if all their sacrifice is going to be worth anything in the end. They wonder if future generations of Americans, that is if the United States gets off the ground, will even care what happened during the Revolution. With such an entertaing bunch of letters, the Adams are certainly doing a good job of maintaining my interest over 200 years later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Letters of John and Abigail Adams.