Thomas's Reviews > Sail

2018505
Aug 20, 09

bookshelves: adult-fiction, thriller
Read in August, 2009

"Sail" is about Katherine Dunne and her three children, who all have been recovering from the death of Stuart Dunne, her husband. Katherine decides that a good way for the family to reform is to go on a sailing trip together, along with their uncle (Katherine's step-brother), Jake. Also, while Katherine is on the trip her newly-wed husband of a few months, Peter, is back in New York with his mistress and maybe a scandolous affair of his own. Little does Katherine know that this trip with her children might be her last.

This is my first James Patterson novel, so it took me a little while to get used to his simple and somewhat blunt writing style. I'll get started with the things I didn't like about this book. Katherine and her children were all pretty one-sided and stereotypical, Carrie being the anorexic recovering, Mark being the stoner recovering, and Ernie being the cute little ten year old. I also didn't like how Jake's death was handled, there seemed to be a lack of detail. I also didn't appreciate how little the evacution of the Dunne family from the island was described.

Sail was entirely horrible though. The parts with action and suspense were well-written, the affair that Peter had was fleshed out, and Agent Ellen Pierce was probably the most realistic character in the book. So overall I would rate this book something like a 2.5/5, but I'll round it up to a three.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sail.