K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Sep 05, 10

bookshelves: 501, 1001-core, crime
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Read from September 01 to 04, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A couple of weeks back, a disgruntled former senior inspector Rolando Mendoza from the Manila Police District shot and killed eight Hong Kong tourists ending the hostage crisis drama that lasted for around 10 hours. This took place at the Quirino Grandstand in the heart of Manila, Philippines. The whole nation was stunned while watching the images unfolding on TV screens. The whole world watched with us as the events are covered by CNN. Mendoza's demand was for him to get his job back. He was about to retire in a year's time when he was kicked out from the service due to allegation of extortion.
Manila
Each of us, including me, quickly say Mendoza is wrong. It is wrong to extort (forcibly ordering a chef to eat cocaine!). It is wrong to carry a firearm (he was no longer in service). It is wrong to take people as hostages (especially tourists!). It is wrong to kill (eight innocent unarmed foreigners!).

But... have we heard his side? (he is already dead) Have we at least heard the people he was close with? Do we know exactly what went into his mind why he did those senseless and brutal shootings?

That is what Truman Capote (1924-1984) did in his nonfiction novel, published in 1966, In Cold Blood. He was so good at it that my heart cried for the killer, Perry Smith. Yes, the murder of the whole Clutter family of Holcomb, Kansas in 1959 was wrong. Smith and his partner, Dick Hickock should not have gone to the house with the intent of robbing the family. Then when they did not find the safe (supposed to contain US$10,000), Smith shot each of the people in that house (they ended up getting a measly amount of US$50, a binocular and a portable radio). I felt total raging hatred for Smith and Hickock. But when their own life stories were presented by Capote, at first I did not know what to feel (he came from a broken family, he grew up with strangers, his father humiliated him, all he wanted was to have a good education, when he was small he cried looking up at the moon as he thought it was so beautiful). Until that scene when Smith was taken back to his cell after the verdict was given. That scene when he extended his hands so the warden's wife could hold them... That scene followed by the one with the squirrel missing Smith in his cell... Capote's narration reaches out to your heart so that it bleeds pity and empathy for a wrong person.

The book screams to us: is capital punishment right or wrong? Prior to this book, I used to react to this question with a shrug and "yes, it is right". Then I normally add that as a father, I feel the pain of my daughter whenever she cries (due to sickness or whatever), etc. In short, no debate needed, I was totally in the side of the victim (pp.336 "I believe in hanging. Just so long as I'm not the one being hanged"). However, in this book, Capote opened my eyes to the other side of the argument: the background of the killer (he is also a victim of the society, he could be schizophrenic: feeling totally detached from himself at the time of the killing, taking the killer's life does not give him opportunity to change, taking the killer's life is a pure and simple act of revenge).

I bought this book from a second-hand bookstore at P50 (around US$1) last year. My brother says that we used to have a copy of this when we were kids in the province. He also says that my late father read and liked this so he read it too. I was young then and not interested in literature. Last Wednesday was my father's 13th Death Anniversary so as my way of remembering him, I picked this from my to-be-read pile. One good decision I made. This book is life-changing.

I have 51 friends here in Goodreads. More than half of them are Filipinos. Some of them are Americans or Europeans. Not a single one of my Filipino friends has this in any of his or her folders (read, marked-to-read, currently-reading, wish-to-read, etc). None. All the Americans and Europeans have read this book and rated this with either a 5 or a 4. Last Friday, I saw brand-new copies in a popular bookstore. Oftentimes, I also see many second-hand copies in other bookstores. It is not thick (only 343 pages) and it is an easy read.

My theory: there are so many killings and murders in the Philippines that Filipinos are either desensitized already or Filipinos are fun-loving people so we do not want to read books or watch movies that we already experience in real life.

My opinion: this is wrong. We need good books like In Cold Blood to widen our perspective on important issues like in this case, capital punishment. For all we know, we could have already set biases and prejudices clouding our judgment and views. In fact, in one of the TV news programs last week, I saw no less than Senator Miguel Zubiri calling for the return of capital punishment in the country.

I am not saying that Rolando Mendoza was right in taking those tourists as hostages and killing them in the end. No! All I am saying is that we should not be too quick to pass judgment on him or the likes of him. Voices should be heard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Cold Blood.

09/01/2010 page 3
1.0% "Today, Sept 1, 2010 is my father's 13th Death Anniversary. I decided to start reading this today as a tribute to him. Oh I miss my da!"
09/02/2010 page 22
6.0% "Gripping"
09/03/2010 page 135
39.0% "Oh , no! Oh, please! No! No! No! No! No! Don't! Oh, please don't, please!" 2 comments

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly You know where I read this? While we were in Lipuso? I think tatay also read this and enjoyed it as much as I did. This, I think, started the fad for massacre novels [although this is non-fiction:] and true crime stories.

K.D. Absolutely So, when I read this, I have to imagine that Tatay is re-reading it beside me. Katakot! har har har

jzhunagev Seems like Truman got you.
And give my hullo to your Tatay while you both read the book.

K.D. Absolutely Shucks!

message 5: by Jinky (new)

Jinky Incredibly passionate review. Is that really so, that Filipinos there have been desensitized of crime?

My husband is a correctional officer and generally he has no sympathy for criminals. --Capote seems to make a compelling arguement but ? --I suppose a society needs to think about making family important again...building a home in love and respect...that's one great aspect that I love about being LDS.

I'm glad to hear that your dad is still a big part of your life.

Take great care my new friend. --Oh, I'm adding this book to my tbr list. :D

K.D. Absolutely Thanks for liking my review. I just edited it. I added "de" to sensitized. Ha ha. I was thinking about it yesterday and was just too lazy to check the dictionary. Ha ha

Yes, I definitely agree. The family is the basic foundation of the society. That, I guess, was what made Smith (the killer) who he was. When he killed the whole family, Capote mentioned that he was in fact killing all the people who wronged him: the nun who punished him when we peed on his bed, the orphanage personnel who did not show any kind of love to him, his parents who abandoned him, his father who did not feed him, his sister who he loved so much but would not want to have anything with him anymore, etc.

Yes, people who left us already? When they are too precious to us? They just stay in our hearts. Forever, I guess. That's my dad for me.

You're welcome, Jinky. Always.

jzhunagev Nice review,Kuya! Specially correlating this to the recent hostage crisis that occurred.

Since reading about Truman Capote I've been hunting for this book but can't find a copy of this at Booksale. I only add books once I got it "physically." I got a lot of book wish list in my brain and so it's like grab whatever book that comes my way.

Great Kuya! ^_^

message 8: by Regine (new) - added it

Regine Completely off topic (but not really) :

Since you mentioned the hostage situation though, I wonder how differently the media coverage was in our countries, and how it portrayed Mendoza.

In Canada, most people are strongly opposed to capital punishment, and we have a very "violence breeds violence" mentality. Whenever a school shooting, or hostage situation, or whatever is reported in the news, you usually see a 5 minute biography about the offender, and what could have led him to commit this crime.

In Mendoza's case, he was portrayed as a man who just wanted to be heard. He was a man who was trying to speak out against the corruption in the police force, who didn't want to hurt anybody. However, the situation was poorly handled; the police were tactless with their approach, because the media was there, Mendoza was able to watch all the action from inside his bus. He became flustered by the actions of the police, and even more flustered when one of his relatives was arrested from trying to talk him out of the situation.

This is how the incident was presented in Canada. I'm curious to hear your version. Was the media more sympathetic to Mendoza, or the Police? What do people think of the bias presented by the media, and are they even aware of it? There are people everywhere that just eat up what they are spoonfed without a second thought.

If Filipinos truly are desensitized to violence, how deep is this work that it made you question your whole rationale? Consider it added to my TBR :-)

message 9: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin wow may moral lesson sa huli! :)

message 10: by K.D. (last edited Sep 05, 2010 09:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Thanks for liking my review, Jzhun, Regine, Jam and Jasmin.

@Jam: Now you know that it is not about rape. Smith (the killer) and Hickock (the pedophile) did not rape the daughter (Nancy) and the mother (Mrs. Clutter). So no rape scene here.

@Regine: In fairness, at least the two big TVstations also mentioned somethings on Mendoza. I remember seeing a picture of him during his younger year receiving a medal as one of the Ten Outstanding Policemen. However, the focus (that I think is in a way understandable) was on what he did and definitely not what really drived him to do it. Nobody mentioned about his psychological profile. Or maybe there is no annual or periodic psycho tests given to policemen? Or maybe he is already too old for that?

Regarding what you wrote:
He was a man who was trying to speak out against the corruption in the police force, who didn't want to hurt anybody - not sure about this. There was a dismissed case about him being part of a gang rape when he was a lot younger. I do not read all the news about what happened. Maybe I am also desensitized. I mainly based on what I know from what I saw on the TV. But you have probably some idea how justice sometimes works here in the Phils.

I agree about the situation not handled properly. The Aquino government is new and his cabinet members are mostly first timers in national government. There were also people who did hostage taking in the past and nothing as bloody as this happened. I think some people was not able to anticipate that Mendoza was capable of killing those tourists.

As I stated in my review, whenever there was being discussed, I used to shrug and say that I was for it. Those bastards should die. I did not care. This line in the book probably expressed my old self: "I believe in hanging. Just so long as I'm not the one being hanged".

This book is an eye-opener. Capote is so brilliant that at the early part, you would hate the killers. But at the latter part, you might cry your heart (I was teary-eyed) out for them. Such an emotional roller coaster. Then you will question yourself: are those killers also victims themselves?

But Capote is very quick on that. Towards the end of the book, he introduced more killers whose profile did not match that of Smith (poor broken family, neglected child, etc). So you will end up wandering, what really turned them (the killers) that way?

@Jasmin: Oh Jasmin! I did not know you can speak Tagalog! Ha ha. I always feel happy whenever I receive an email saying "Jasmin likes your review!" Such an honor coming from somebody whose reviews I look forward to every morning as I open my inbox.

jzhunagev K.D. wrote: "@Jzhun: I saw a brand copy of this book at NBS E. Rodriguez just last Friday (P600+). Hayaan mo, I can lend you my copy next time we see each other. This is not a 501 Book. However, this book was mentioned to be similar to Norman Mailer's THE EXECUTIONER SONG which is a 501. Kuya says it is good. I have a copy of that but I thought it is something that only lawyers would appreciate becuase it is thick and I thought it would have lots of legalese terms. However, I will try to read it soon.

I do it that way too: I only add books that are with me physically. Ok, I lied about Stephen King. I also have a copy of that ha ha."

Thanks uli Kuya! Just got curious, what are the Stephen King novels that you got?

Really, Kuya I don't care whether you'll like King or not. To each one his own, as the saying goes (now where did I get that?).

message 12: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely This the biography book that you bought in BS MOA. Then the following day, I also saw one in BS North EDSA. So I have a copy too. Remember you asked me, if I bought myself a copy? I lied saying that no, I thought you would lend me. Then I smiled? I was just kidding.

I will read Stephen King's THE SHINING very soon! I am reading a book about Bell Witch now. I got scared last night. I was alone in the sala and reading it around 10 p.m. Then something moved at my back. I had goosebump so I went up to the bedroom and read St. Augustine instead. Ha ha. At 3 a.m., I read O'Brien's The Third Policeman. 3 a.m. you know is the Witching Hour (it is also mentioned in that Bell Witch book: American Haunting)

So, at 46, I still get scared. So, give me a chance. There is a possibility that I will like Stephen King afterall. And you will care, if I like him. I know you will.

jzhunagev K.D. wrote: "There is a possibility that I will like Stephen King afterall. And you will care, if I like him. I know you will."

No, Kuya. I'll be at your door, ringing. Then when you answer it. You will se no one there.

Yun pala, I'm lying spread-eagle at the front of your door, face streaked with blood.

[insert Twilight Zone sound]
Tinuninoninoninoniniiiii....

message 14: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Oh Holy Crap! May God have mercy on your soul! You witch!

message 15: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin Kuya doni, of course I speak Tagalog! I am Filipino by ♥, though my Filipino citiZenship was just granted recently. hmm, thank you for the compliment. Same goes for me. Thanks again. :)

message 16: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely YOU are welcome, Jasmin. Oh I also want to meet you in person someday! I enjoy this thread. There are so many goodlooking and brainy girls that I will have chance to see in person.

message 17: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never The first review I've read after my chess break. Great review and insights, K.D.

message 18: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Congratulations, Emir. Kuya said last week that you did great. Thanks for liking my review!

message 19: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin Don't worry, im not included in the goodlooking girls, so no loss at that. pictures can be so deceiving. I do like to think I am smart, though definitely NOT streetsmart. harhar. maybe sometime someone could organize another EB. hopefully i could have a decent break at work :D

message 20: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never One week away from GR feels looong. The books await...

jzhunagev K.D. wrote: "Jzhun: let's watch THE LAST EXORCISM! I have nobody to watch that with. My daughter and wife did not want to go with me last Saturday."

Kuya, I just watched the trailer at youtube. It looks kinda lame for my horror taste. Blegh!

message 22: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely @Jasmin: Pictures don't lie. It depends on what you consider as not goodlooking. But yes, I agree. You are definitely smart. Not sure about streetsmart as we have not been on a street (corny!) Yes, we will organize a meet up soon and we will invite you (I invited you on my birthday and you were busy). Well, next time, I will adjust my birthday! ha ha

@Emir: Yes, we missed your "likes"! Ha ha

message 23: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin K.D. wrote: "@Jasmin: Pictures don't lie. It depends on what you consider as not goodlooking. But yes, I agree. You are definitely smart. Not sure about streetsmart as we have not been on a street (corny!) Yes,..."

haha thanks kuya doni. laki na ulo ko. haha. hmm, dont worry, definitely not street smart. im actually scared of crossing the street. I guess that says much. me not coming on ur bday was a big regret of mine. no need to adjust next tym. If ever there is a next tym, i will definitely try to make it. :/

message 24: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never Who's good-looking? Jasmin? Why, yes.

message 25: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan Makes me think of how I am so quick to judge sometimes. Nice review kuya.^_^

jzhunagev K.D. wrote: "@@Jzhun: What happened? Mo Twister and the gang of Goodtimes last week was raving about it. Mo even said that the preview was so scary that the movie itself should be scarier! Really, you don't want me to treat you? We can see it tonight here at Megamall. My wife will be the one to pick up Jillian from school since my car is color coding!"

Kuya thanks for the offer, but I can't make it tonight. Alam mo naman, eh.

Regarding to the movie's trailer, Hollywood has a knack for doing that; making catchy trailers but story wise is just lame and pretty the same thing over and over again. Besides, how many times does this exorcism story been rehashed for the last decade, eh? DJ's are just priming the pump for the film because (maybe, actually I wasn't sure of this) their one of 'em stations that endorse this film. "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" is one of 'em stand out exorcism films that has a different angle to the story, with an ounce of original concept to it.

'Nuff said, I'm raving.

Really, thanks for the offer Kuya. But I'm saving my money for the Book Fair.

Thanks! ^_^

message 27: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin Emir wrote: "Who's good-looking? Jasmin? Why, yes."

Thanks. :)

@jhzun, wat could u say about "The exorcism of emily rose"? Just wondering, since I was honestly freaked out and scared out of my wits about that. I wasn't able to sleep for weeks. At one point, I prayed "Our Father", then I ended up being more scared. :/

message 28: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely @Jasmin: hey there goodlooking! don't worry, I am not dying yet. I still have around 900+ books to go before I die. So, I will have more birthdays to come ha ha!

@Ariel: thanks!

message 29: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Now I know why the story seemed familiar. There's a movie of this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379725/

I remember seeing its trailer in AXN or something? Never got to watch it, though.

This isn't really my type of book, but reviews like yours make me curious to the point of considering this book. Hm, sometime soon, maybe. :) (And it's only $4.95 in Kindle -- tempting).

message 30: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Yes, Jasmin. I remember now. That movie made me scared about 3 a.m. The Witching Hour! The hour when evil spirits come to life! So, even up to now. When I feel the urge to go to the bathroom to pee and I see it is three o'clock, I tell my bladder to wait! ha ha

message 31: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Go for it, Tina. Capote is really good.
Yes, I have a DVD copy of the movie and I tried watching it. But the start did not look interesting. It was a pirated copy (the actor won the Oscars so I bought it). I don't know where it is now. I have to look for it. However, as always, almost always, the book is better than the movie so I am not really looking forward to seeing this. All the images are in my mind and that, for now, is enough.

It is in NBS (P600+) but I have been seeing copies in BS outlets. So, it should be available.

message 32: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin K.D. wrote: "@Jasmin: hey there goodlooking! don't worry, I am not dying yet. I still have around 900+ books to go before I die. So, I will have more birthdays to come ha ha!

those are a lot of books! I'm trying to read the 1001 books too, but not as diligently as u do it. hmm, they'r either too "classic" or lacking romance for my tastes. I try to make at least 1 book from the list per month. XD

jzhunagev K.D. wrote: "@@Jzhun: Okay. I will not watch it na lang. Yes, I agree with Emily Rose. It is really a scary film. I saw that while in the US (two years back) and I had to walk from the moviehouse to my hotel passing through a deserted road complete with brown leaves (it was halloween and it was fall in the US). Then there were squirrels walking down from the trees! Akala ko dagang malalaki! So, I ran for maybe 20 mins. Now, I can't do that anymore because of my injured leg! ha ha "

Seriously, natawa ko rito Kuya!

Emily Rose made me think. Yes, the movie was based on a true story. It scared the heebie-jebies out of me! But most importantly it made me think. Is the case of Emily the cause of schizoprenia, hallucinations or is she really possessed? One of the great scenes for me is when the priest is almost powerless by the "being" that he is fighting! Ang ganda ng angle ng spritual warefare ng film.

And speaking of the witching hour Kuya, I have a bad dream (I wouldn't consider it a nightmare since I got back to sleep again) about, of all people, you! I still remember what transpired in the dream but I will never dare mention it here. But just be careful, Kuya. From your GR friends, we care for you Kuya.
That's all...

message 34: by K.D. (last edited Sep 06, 2010 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Shucks, Jzhun. I have some premonitions also. When my father died in 1997, while he was in the funeral parlor, I saw this brown dragonfly on my windshield (I think I mentioned this in my review of THE POSTHUMOUS MEMOIRS OF BRAS CUBAS) while driving the stretch of SLEX. You know how windy it could be in the superhighway. It happened in the morning. In the evening of the same day, because I lacked sleep (my father was in the funeral home and I just had to visit the office to turn over things to my colleague), I fell asleep while driving. It was split-second nap and I woke up by a speeding car's horn in the lane beside mine.

Then few minutes prior to my leg injury last February this year, I saw two brown dragonflies inside the indoor badminton court at 8:00 in the evening.

Then last week, Thursday, I saw a big brown dragonfly while driving in front of La Salle Greenhills. I immediately recited OUR FATHER out loud (nobody was with me in the car). Then I drove carefully carefully until I got home from work. So, it was last week you dreamed of me? It could be that day too. Something bad was supposed to happen to me. But after the badminton incident, my wife told me to say a prayer when I see brown dragonflies.

Thanks though.

message 35: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin damn the crappy net connection.

somehow kuya doni, i have trouble imagining u running from monstrous squirrels. ;))

but Emily Rose does have the ability to "stick".

i actually have trouble handling paranormal movies. I would rather watch a SAW marathon than Emily Rose :/

message 36: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Jasmin, it was my first time to see real squirrels! and running up to the tree! I thought they were big mice! but I knew I was in the US so I looked closer and then realized those were squirrels!

SAW? I liked those too! Paranormal movies are awesome too because you don't actually see the villain! Saw has this man with a funny mask. What actually scares me there is how they have to saw themselves to get the key. Gosh.

message 37: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin well, its understandable that u ran away from squirels considering u just watched Emily Rose. hehe

Saw is actually more disgusting than scary. i was actually imagining me in a similar scenario. I dont know if I would actually try to save my life and endure the pain or close my eyes tight and choose to die without a fight. There are some really creepy scenes like the twisting of limbs. eew.. But nothing scares me more than things I can't see. Such as ghosts. but as the elders say matakot ka na sa buhay, kesa sa patay because those could do the real harm. but still! ghosts could give me a heart attack!

hey kuya Doni, you take care :D

message 38: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely I am still alive! Jzhun, your prophecy is not true! *sprinkling holy water* You witch! Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, leave the body of this man! Now! ha ha

@Jasmin, yes, and there were many of those on the trees. The Marriott hotel that I we used to be booked at during that time was in an industrial complex not in the actual city of Columbus (Ohio). It was called Westerville. Then it is in an isolated area od that industrial complex. As a company policy, managers below are not supposed to rent cars. So, we rely on the hotel shuttle to bring us to any point with 10 mile radius (meaning nearby mall called Polaris, church, office, etc). There are only 2 of those shuttle buses and I thought it would be nice to walk to the nearby grocery (Giant Eagle) and it was a Saturday mid-afternoon. Then I noticed that cluster of small moviehouses near the grocery so I watched Emily Rose. It was Halloween night (Oct 31) so most now-showing were horror films. It was around 5 p.m. so I said why not see this movie and just call the hotel for the shuttle to pick me up at 7 or so.

But when I went out from the moviehouse, the hotel said that the shuttlebus drivers already went home ans their duties are only up to 6 p.m. So, I had to walk again. Normally, that route at the back of hotel took only 20-30 mins regular walk but if you go to the main road (along the expressway), it will take you 45-60 mins. So, I took that shorter route. I said I could do it. I should just be brave.

Then the many big squirrels doing down the trees and watching me while I walked. Ha ha

message 39: by Jasmin (new) - added it

Jasmin You watched the movie alone?? I have no guts for that. haha. Plus its almost nov 1. You are one brave man kuya doni. haha. again, its hard imagining you running for 20minutes from squirrels. but thank goodness, I have a very good imagination. Squirrels might have rabies and other diseases so I guess that should make them scary enough.

talagang may exorcism sa taas eh noh? ;))

message 40: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely It was not only the squirrels eh. Creepy rin talaga yong surroundings. Imagine the scene: squirrels on the trees, deserted road, bright moon, Halloween night, brown leaves all over the place: when you walk the leaves give out that creepy sound as if somebody is following you. Maybe I was also afraid that there could be a killer lurking somewhere especially I am Asian and could be an easy target. Lakad takbo for 20 mins. I was really panting when I arrived at the hotel.

message 41: by Sheryl (new) - added it

Sheryl I am about to read this. Thanks for the review! :)

message 42: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Hope you like it, She! :)

Christine I'm about to read this. While the issue is old, the PNP and NBI should also look into what happened. There's a reason countries with decent police systems have specialists for crim psych.

Christine I just finished this! Amazing!

message 45: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely It is, Christine. :) Thanks for dropping by.

Louize Good luck kay Ella!
Marami pa lang psychological aspects ang book na ito.
Better ready my book journal, good pen, and a wad of tissue then.

message 47: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Interesting nga kapag hindi gamay ng moderator ang genre ng libro nya. Para may challenge at para na rin maging neutral sya. Pag moderator ka kasi, dapat wag kang masyadong magbibigay ng opinion about the book.

Angus Not a single one of my Filipino friends has this in any of his or her folders.

Excuuuse me! Better double check. Or maybe I was not your Goodreads friend yet when you wrote this.

Maria Ella After reading this review, i have to prepare for the discussion, URGH. no pressure, no pressure.

message 50: by K.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely Angus: Yes, I think so. You were not yet my friend. Otherwise, your picture would not have escaped me.

Ella: Yes, no pressure please.

« previous 1