Anne's Reviews > The Woman Who Gave Birth To Rabbits

The Woman Who Gave Birth To Rabbits by Emma Donoghue

Aug 15, 2009

Read in August, 2010

Emma Donoghue is fast becoming one of my favourite authors - I adored Slammerkin and read the Booker nominated Room just a couple of weeks ago, so was interested to see what this collection of short stories would be like.

This is a book of fictions that are also true, over the years Emma Donoghue has come across snippets of history that are so bizarre, yet true that she felt the urge to write a story around the facts and this is the collection of those stories.

Like most short story collections, some are much better than others. The title story of Mary Toft who claimed to give birth to live rabbits is excellent, as is the story of the miniature girl; taken from her parents and paraded as a freak show exhibit.

Emma Donoghue has a real skill of almost bringing people to life on the page and transports the reader bang into the middle of whatever story she is telling.

A varied but clever collection of stories that showcases the bizarre and the fascinating bits of history that most of us will never have come across before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Gave Birth To Rabbits.