Kathleen's Reviews > Round Ireland with a Fridge

Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks

F_50x66
Sep 30, 09

Read in September, 2009

This became a *page-a-day* book. It tells the story of a fellow who took a bet to hitch around the perimeter of Ireland while pulling a fridge on a trolley behind him. I chose it because it was supposed to be funny and because I love tales of the Irish people. It was mildly amusing at times and had a few tales of the good nature of many of the Irish. What impressed me the most in the telling was the notion that a national radio show took up the topic of the travel which made the trip an *event* for the whole country. The enthusiasm with which Tony and Saiorse Molloy (the fridge) were greeted made me nostalgic for the olden days of my youth in the Paleolithic Age when we were tuned in to Sputnik, Alan Shepard, John Glenn and other national heroic events. Tony is no hero but he galvanized attention on something so NOT scandalous as to be a welcome reprieve from the likes of what catches national attention now such as pedophile movie people and perverts raising children in the backyard.
It was a simple tale. It was pleasant.

Kathleen
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Round Ireland with a Fridge.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peg (new)

Peg I hear you about needing stories that are ripped out of today's headlines. I loved the story of the NY hero saving that young boy and his sweet proposal on GMA to his girlfriend - offering her a wild and crazy ride through life with him.

Please let's find all those good stories about regular folk who are truly heroes - remember The Magician's Elephant is one of those good stories.