Erin's Reviews > Tiger Eyes

Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume

Apr 27, 10

bookshelves: banned-challenged
Read in February, 2008

Liked this much better than most Judy Blumes-- more nuanced than most. Writing less stilted. (The irony of that last sentence is not lost on me..)

#87 on the ALA list of most banned books 2000-2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger Eyes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Pellecchia The only Judy Blume book I remember reading was "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret." Since almost every one of her books gets banned, I expect you'll be reading the lot. I will be looking for which you recommend as the best.

Erin Judy Blume gets on my friggin' nerves. But Then Again, Maybe I Won't has been the best so far.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Pellecchia Why does she get on your nerves? It's been so long since I've read anything by her. My guess is that she is very "teenagery." Or worse: puberty-y.

Erin I just don't think her writing is very good. Just because she writes about Issues, doesn't make her a good writer. She usually beats you over the head with her stuff, but Tiger Eyes is more subtle.

message 5: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe I agree that Ms. Blume has a yearned a solid place in Middle Grade literature (assisted, I'm sure, by school reading lists), but that her skill is not great.

Erin Which is why I'm really excited to read "Absolutely True Diary...Indian". It seems like it will be Blume-ish, but better.

message 7: by Mary (last edited Mar 16, 2008 03:50PM) (new)

Mary Pellecchia Some people just hit the right editor, and from then on they can do no wrong. These reviews help me a lot because, as you well know, there are so many books and so little time! I would probably not take the time to read many more Judies, but since you put your review that way, I now have to read it because I am curious about that last sentence!

Erin I meant MY last sentence: "Writing less stilted"...

:-)

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Pellecchia oh. That changes the entire dimension!

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin haha...you're so cute!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Pellecchia aw, gawrsh, mickey. It must be where you get your cuteness!