Carrie Hinkel-Gill's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Sep 01, 2009

bookshelves: mlm-ya-cove, listened-to
Recommended for: everyone!
Read in August, 2009

The audiobook was well done and the reader made it a wonderful performance to listen to!

Even though the possibility of this occurring is unlikely and not really possible (according to science, the moon's own magnetic field keeps it in it's current orbit), this is science fiction, key word on fiction!

That being said, this also falls under the category of speculative fiction. Basically a, "What would happen if?"

So, the question becomes, is this what would really happen? Would the government and society really crumble this way? I think the answer to that is yes because it seems to happen every time there are blizzard conditions here or severely cold weather situations - some of the smaller towns do get "sold out" of many items because people decide to stockpile in case something happens and they end up cut off from the community due to snow. We've also seen when people have run out and purchased their own generators after 9/11. That time really demonstrated that this scenario Pfeffer paints in this book isn't so out there, even if how it started is.

Very thought provoking and well done! Great job Susan!

This is a great book and I recommend it to anyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

08/15/2009 "I'm on Disc 2"
08/22/2009 "I'm on Disc 3"
08/22/2009 "I'm on Disc 4"
08/22/2009 "I'm on Disc 5"
08/22/2009 "I finished it!"