Roz's Reviews > The Unseen

Sep 02, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: spooky
Read in August, 2009

After reading The House of Lost Souls, I was hoping for something akin to that. This book describes itself as being based on experiments done in the parapsychology lab at Duke U., so of course! This should be my next choice. So far, it comes up short ... only because of the high degree of excellence contained in the previous selection. The Unseen, actually reminds me of The Devlin Diary (the present-day Trinity College part)& The Night Villa. A college, a much-educated female professor protagonist, a library (hooray!) and research, research, research!

Very slow, many times I questioned myself as to why I was still plodding through it ... lots of scenes telegraphed to the reader WAAAY before disclosure, trite situations, overblown personalities ... AARGH! But I stuck with it (not knowing why!) and was 'sort of' rewarded ... it picked up and was a little interesting toward the last few chapters. But below the quality level of what I have been lucky enough to read lately (The Devlin Diary, The Black Tower, The House of Lost Souls!) I guess it was worthwhile just for the location (Durham NC & Duke U.) & history of the parapsychology lab there ... I definitely looked into the websites and dug a little more ... another author like Richard Matheson (or F. G. Cottam!) should try their hand at the subject matter!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unseen.