Steven Kent's Reviews > Austenland

Austenland by Shannon Hale

2044516
Aug 15, 09

Cute, quick, witty, and spun lighter than cotton candy, Austenland is the story Jane, a 30+ modern American woman who has given up on modern guys because they don't live up to her Mr. Darcy fantasies.

The book has nonstop flow of ironic observations and sardonic interpretations as Jane's wealthy widow aunt discovers the DVD copy of the PBS version of Pride and Prejudice she keeps hidden in a house plant. When the aunt passes away, she remembers Jane in her will, leaving her a pricey ticket a resort in England in which they do Regency-era reenactment--hence the name, "Austenland."

In Austenland, Jane encounters love, infatuation, envy, every Austentonian emotion she can imagine, and they all come pre-paid by professional actors who get paid to make every guest feel Elizabeth- Emma-esque.

For Jane, Austenland is fun, thrilling, somewhat tawdry, and superficial in a fulfilling way. Readers should find this novel the same.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austenland.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Marita Perhaps this was better listened than read :)??
Marita

Steven Kent Brooke read it, I listened. I liked it a lot, she did not finish it. Perhaps you are right. Or, possibly, this is Chick-lit that appeals to guys more than the intended audience.

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I just saw the movie. It was a cute, nothing remarkable. Cute & funny. Is it still worth reading the book? Did I also hear that the author is LDS?

Steven Kent Shannon Hales is indeed LDS. I have not seen the movie, so I can't comment on how the movie and book clash or complement each other.