Dan 1.0's Reviews > Hit Man

Hit Man by Lawrence Block

Nov 29, 09

bookshelves: crime-and-mystery, hardcase-writers, block

Hitman is a collection of short stories about a professional killer named Keller. What sets this book apart from others of its kind is that it's more about what Keller does when he's not actively killing people, what makes him tick. He has fantasies about living in whatever town he's visiting for a job. He has a dog that he's quite attached to. And eventually he takes up stamp collecting as a hobby so he'll have something to do when he retires.

That's not to say there's no action. Keller dispatches quite a few people in this book. He's a professional and the ways he figures out how to pull off the killings are well done.

Lawrence Block's writing is another attraction for picking this up. He knows how to weave a short story like nobody's business. There isn't a single dud in the collection as far as I'm concerned.

If hitmen interest you, go out and get this RIGHT NOW! Keller's a fleshed out character and a joy to read about. I'll be picking up the other two Keller books in short order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hit Man.

11/23/2009 page 1
11/25/2009 page 123
47.49% "loving this so far..."
show 7 hidden updates…

Kemper I love this Hit Man series by Block. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Mohammed Heh i ordered this book from bookmooch just before i saw your reading it.

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan 1.0 I'll let you know how it is.

Mohammed I will look forward to that seeing as how similar our taste in this type of crime fiction is.

Kemper Nice review. The sequels are great also.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan 1.0 Kemper wrote: "Nice review. The sequels are great also. "

I'll be tracking them down for sure. Keller's a great character.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Okay, I better find this one. Good review, Dan.

Mohammed Its sounds very good and a nice surprise that its a short story collection.

I was thinking i need more of that kind every time i read a Hammett collection.