Matt's Reviews > The Dark Tower

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Aug 18, 09

Read in August, 2009

I stayed up all night to finish. At 11pm, I was at page 198. I finished page 1011 at 4:45. I think this counts as a good read!

I understand people's criticisms of King's masterpiece -- hell, there are people who think Monet's blurry or Van Gough is disproportional. The truth is, this is King's love letter to his imagination, and the characters who roam within. He attributes his characters to the reason why he survived that horrific crash -- if taken literally, it may seem blow-hard, as a majority of the reviews here seem to accuse him of being. However, the point of this story is that he believes Roland and his ka-tet SAVED him for the specific purpose of being able to still dream his story.
Book Seven is a true epic. So many characters, so much brilliant build-up and resulting conflict. So many sacrifices, and so much beautiful resolution that requires our own faiths in our imaginations. This was more than an epic -- it was a journey in faith of the unbelievable, that a story which seems to begin about a bounty hunter can suddenly be an appropriate allegory for the religious prophets and saviors that dot our world religions today. If you made the journey and liked it, then congratulations, you understood how truly important the trip is.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tower.