Andrew's Reviews > A Princess of Mars

Oct 14, 07

bookshelves: fantastic, scientific, genre
Recommended for: pulpsters
Read in October, 2007

I would actually recommend this book more than my three-star rating might suggest; it's a freewheeling, swashbuckling story about John Carter, an ex-Confederate officer magically transported to dying Mars, where his powerful Earth-muscles grant him extraordinary abilities. What's not to like?

In his travels, Carter lives with (and escapes from) the green men of Mars- hulking, four-armed barbarians who've lost all human affection (through evolution!)- and falls in love with the incomparable Dejah Thoris, princess of the red Martian city of Helium. Also, there are airships. And giant albino apes. And a crazy, loyal Mars dog named Woola. And swordfights. And Indians. And psychic powers. And an atmosphere factory. And a cliffhanger ending... for every chapter.

Reading this was interesting, too, because I'd never read anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs; I'm trying to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of the literature of the fantastic, and A Princess of Mars was an essential and enjoyable step.

Also, on Mars, no one wears any clothes.

And now, a quote:
"One night Dejah Thoris spoke to the Earthman: 'We are lost and the desert will claim us-- but with you beside me, warrior of another world, I am unafraid!'"
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Princess of Mars.