Jacobmartin's Reviews > The Satanic Verses

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

Dec 14, 11

bookshelves: books-containing-dangerous-ideas-l, british, contemporary-fiction, gimmick-lit
Read in December, 2011

Just done reading The Satanic Verses again. UGGHHHHH. Where to begin... Where. To. Begin. If you've heard this book hates on Islam only, you're dead wrong. You see, Rushdie, he didn't think that was enough. He hates on Thatcher, England, India, pretty much every religious figure known to man, Satan, (PICK A SIDE DAMMIT) women as a gender, men, celebrities, the media... I think he hates on HIMSELF a bit, but unlike the other haterade in there it was pretty subtle.

This is some epic trolling on Rushdie's part, and to be honest it just seems to be a lot of things happening for no reason other than to provoke controversy, I never thought I'd say this but I managed to find a bigger hater in the universe than me, and somehow this is a bad thing on his part because there's no substance to a lot of this haterade spilled at every target he can find without explaining why exactly he hates on them.

Only worth reading to say you did, and even then, it teaches you a lot about bloated Booker-Prize bait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Satanic Verses.