Jennifer's Reviews > Little Earthquakes

Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

Aug 14, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in August, 2009

I'm surrounded by pregnant women, new mothers, and aspiring moms. Everywhere I turn, there's a picture of a belly or a copy of an ultrasound on facebook. At work, I hear the stories of morning sickness and misery from two pregnant co-workers. I spend much of my time planning programs and creating flannelboard figures for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. I'm nowhere near the point of having a child of my own, but I'm barraged by the thought of them.

I picked up this book, not knowing what it was about. I had previously read Good in Bed and In Her Shoes, but I couldn't really remember much beyond the bare outlines of the stories. As soon as I started Little Earthquakes, I thought to myself, "Oh, dear. This story centers around a chance encounter at a pre-natal yoga class." Three women become fast friends after one nearly gives birth after the first yoga session... and a strange, stalker-esque series of events brings the fourth woman into the fold.

Every woman has a chapter within the month. The time span of this book is a bit longer than I expected. The premise was interesting, but by the end, I was sick of all of the characters. I felt like it needed to end earlier. The stories were not all equally interesting, and I really despised a couple of the characters (i.e. Kelly, and on occasion, Ayinde). Lia, the former Hollywood starlet, was completely out of left field, and I wasn't convinced that Becky could forgive her quite that easily for randomly leaving baby objects in a perfect stranger's baby bag.

I enjoyed the Philadelphia setting. I liked reading about Rittenhouse Square and Walnut Street. I recall my time spent in Center City, and I could easily imagine the scenes at Temple and Penn.

At the end of it all, I was just glad to finish. This book was exhausting, which I think was a primary goal of Weiner. She wants everyone to know how tough it is to have a baby. She repeats this over, and over, and over... and by the end, I felt just as run-down as the mothers of the newborns. I gladly take my leave from the world of breast-feeding and pacifiers - I'll continue to be a doting visitor for now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Earthquakes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc Horton Not that I have a uterus or anything, but as a parent, let me please remind you to do EVERYTHING that you ever wanted to do before you have a kid, because afterwards, a life of your own is not an option. I'm sure you know this, but I just wanted to make sure....

Tiffany I think you read this at the wrong point in your life and therefore have an unfair review of this book. It's not the authors fault you feel so suffocated by such a natural process. Children must be born to keep the generations moving.

Jennifer I don't have issues with motherhood. I had more issues with the bad writing and unlikeable characters who make motherhood into a giant burden.

I doubt that would change, regardless of my stage of life.

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Well said Jennifer! I just started this book, but I like your review of it. Let's see how far I get :)