Jackie "the Librarian"'s Reviews > Dragondrums

Dragondrums by Anne McCaffrey

Aug 12, 08

bookshelves: youngadult, sciencefiction
Read in January, 1979

This is my least favorite of the Harper Hall books, because I think McCaffrey is not true to the already established character of Piemur, Menolly's friend from the Harper Hall. In Dragonsinger Piemur was presented as an irrepressible, mischievous scamp.
Forget all about that Piemur, because here he grows up into a moody, antisocial loner. I'm sorry, but that's just not Piemur to me.
At the start of the book, Piemur's beautiful soprano voice starts to crack, and he is dismissed by Master Shonagar as his special apprentice. He is secretly recruited by the Masterharper and placed in the drum tower to learn the message codes.
Unfortunately, the other apprentices expect a scamp with a sense of humor, not the dour silent lump Piemur McCaffrey has turned him into for the sake of this story. The other apprentices (and I) resent this, and set about making Piemur's life a hell, and haze him mercilessly. Sworn to silence, all the special trips on behalf of Masterharper Robinton just make things worse.
After an especially deadly prank, Piemur is sent on one last mission - and winds up somewhere no one would ever expect. With a fire lizard egg.
If you weren't already familiar with Piemur, or if McCaffrey had introduced a new character with the necessary characteristics, this story would be a fine entry in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragondrums.