Evie Byrne's Reviews > Fool's Fate

Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb

Feb 05, 12

Read in August, 2009

I was very happy with this series (though I wouldn't recommend anyone read it without reading the Farseer trilogy first). I must have been happy because I read all three books within a week at the cost of many hours of sleep.

However, can I just say to those of you who have read these books that I couldn't really buy the Molly thing? Is anyone with me on this? I understand she represents home and hearth for him (or cave and cubs!) and perhaps his lost youth. But she just wasn't a compelling character for me. More like a port in which to dock a ship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool's Fate.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Huda I agree, I just finished the trilogy recently, and the ending really annoyed me. Especially because Burrich had to be killed off in the end to make it possible.

Blue Read the Farseer trilogy to know Molly. And read them slowly this time. Molly is a very real character, just like any characters in Hobbs' books.

message 3: by Lil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lil I agree 100%. No matter how slowly you read it, Molly was not fleshed out and Fitz's attachment to her was as needy and idealized as Harry Potter's to Ginny. Someone who represented his perfect vision of family but little else.

Emma Tyler i agree, it seemed a bit hollow. even tho its an amazing book finishing it on that relationship seemed to cheapen the strength of relationships and death of story throughout

Amanda I never liked Molly, but I think it makes perfect sense that Fitz chose to return to her, especially after The Fool left. Burrich and Molly where his only safe havens growing up. Fitz spent his entire childhood trying to belong, to find his place in the world. He gave his life to serving his family, thinking that this was the only life there was for him. I think Fitz stagnated when he gave his memories/feelings to girl-on-dragon so when he got that back he was still that youth in love with the girl in the bright red dress, wanting to do right by her. Had the Fool not left it might have been different.

That said I was not happy with the ending, here's hoping that Fitz lives to see his Beloved return!

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Manson I came to Goodreads to read through reviews just to see if anyone agreed with me that Molly and Fitz getting back together just didn't feel right. Glad to see others thought the same thing. As soon as Burrich was injured, I saw their reconciliation coming. I never liked Molly, though, so I guess that's part of my disappointment.