Judith's Reviews > The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose

Aug 14, 2009

This book earns my highest praise for 3 reasons: 1.) although it is a nonfiction memoir, it somehow manages to incorporate all the attributes of fiction: romance, suspense, conflict, and a compelling denouement; 2.) it covers a topic so important that it threatens to tear this country apart much like the civil war, and that is the growing division between extreme Christians and extreme atheists; 3.) and it was written by a 19-year college sophomore who is so talented and well-educated that he is on par with the best writer of any age. I found this profound, surprising, evocative, interesting and thought-provoking. The story of the young student who finds happiness despite huge philosophical and practical differences between himself and the other students has much larger implications. I personally cannot stand Bible-pounding, homophobic, right-to lifers, but this book made me pause to remember that nothing is as black-and-white as it first appears and I am just as biased as they are if I despise these people as a group. I consider a book that teaches me a lesson like that to be a really important work. At the same time, the classes he took in "Creationism" were so ludicrous that I began to think that this idea is on its way out. These people seem too intelligent to sustain that kind of nonsense indefinitely.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Disciple.

message 1: by Teri (new)

Teri I read or saw an interview with this author, and he was quite articulate. His premise was interesting, and it must have been difficult to carry out his plan. I'll put it on my "to-read" list.