Julie's Reviews > How It Ends

How It Ends by Laura Wiess

Aug 19, 09

bookshelves: books-i-own, fiction, pocket-books, young-adult
Recommended to Julie by: Mindi
Recommended for: Pocket Books
Read in August, 2009

"I would not willingly peel back the scar tissue protecting the deepest chambers of my heart and reveal the bruised hollows pooled with the blood of old wounds---the terror that just thinking about it---but now, facing darkness I am left with no choice. I love you, and because of that I am going to try and raise the dead." ---Louise Bell Closson

This is one of the most haunting books I've read this year. The twists and turns will keep you wondering from the minute you start reading this book until you know How It Ends.

I was intrigued most about Laura Wiess's use of an audiobook within a book. There were times I became confused about which story we were on but it all ties in together. I've never read a book even remotely close to this and really enjoyed it!

Hanna is your almost typical teenager. She thinks Seth is the bomb diggity and can't imagine her life without him. She also thinks a lot of her neighbor, Gran. As she grows older, Hanna spends less and less time with Gran, which causes a lot of heartache on both sides. I found myself feeling sorry for Gran and her loneliness. A school project helps Hanna to find her way back into spending more time with Gran and learning more about her life growing up.

I found myself at times not wanting to know how this book would end. I laughed, I wanted to throw the book at certain characters, and I bawled like a baby. I believe I may have experience every imaginable emotion during my reading of this book.

It is written for young adults but I know that "older" adults would enjoy it just as well, if not more so. I do rate this book PG-13 for some very strong language and some suggestive scenes. I don't guess I recognized that this was a YA book until I was reading the author's interview and the discussion questions.

Be patient while reading this book (it's hard to do in this one with all the twists and turns!) and by the end, you will know How It Ends. Like it, love it, or hate it, the book does end!

Thanks to Sarah at Pocket Books for providing this copy for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How It Ends.

08/16/2009 page 12
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arlene I just finished this book on Saturday. Your review said it perfectly! What a powerful book!