Jessica's Reviews > Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and The Endurance

Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World by Jennifer Armstrong

Oct 18, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: excellent-jr-high-school-level-read, ya-lit, nonfiction, eng-420

This is the account of Shakleton and his crew's journey to Antartica and their remarkable tale of survival after the loss of their ship in the ice. For months the men traveled, carefully rationing their provisions, through the extremes of Antartica and incredibly all survived. This is nonfiction and a true account, yet it is told in a narrative format, which appeals to audiences who may not typically be readers of nonfiction. I also found the text to be very literary, containing figurative language and sensory detail that made me feel exhausted and cold from reading it. So it changed me pre-conceived ideas about all nonfiction writing, by showing that it could be done in a very literary and enjoyable way. What I also found impressive, was the terrific leadership example that could be found in Shakleton as he managed to keep his men going and maintain morale, and eventually rescue them all and bring them all home to safety. An inspiring tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World.