Jessica's Reviews > Guinea Pig Scientists: Bold Self-Experimenters in Science and Medicine

Guinea Pig Scientists by Mel Boring

Oct 18, 09

bookshelves: ya-lit, excellent-jr-high-school-level-read, nonfiction, science, eng-420
Read in September, 2009

The title can be deceiving, but this is a collection of accounts about actual scientists who experimented on themselves for the sake of medicine and science. The neat thing is that these were a lot of major discoveries, and I was so surprised as I read that I had never heard of any of these events before that had initiated so much of what we know today. It contains accounts of everything from men locking themselves in a boiling hot room to test how long they could stay and bear the heat, to a man who intentionally infested himself with a plague so as to learn about the initial symptoms of the disease. A neat thing was that it contained some actual pictures and contains helpful sources such as timelines, indexes, and "Now we Know" sections.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guinea Pig Scientists.