Brooke's Reviews > Random Harvest

Random Harvest by James Hilton

Oct 25, 10

Read from October 13 to 25, 2010

Good book, with a good plot, I just thought it took too long to get there. Especially the first half of the book- it kind of drug on and seemed pointless. But when all the pieces of the book are put together it makes an interesting story.

The copy I had from the library was old, and had a picture on the cover of what looked like a sketch of a 1940s movie, which I just couldn't get out of my mind the whole time I was reading the book, like it was an overly dramatic 1940s movie (which I guess it was made into a movie in the 1940s). So now I plan to watch the movie and see how well it follows the story in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Random Harvest.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Michelle I saw the movie before reading the book. I enjoyed the movie, but I love 1940's movies, so perhaps I'm not a fair judge.

Brooke I love 1940s movies too, but I had to imagine the whole thing with a guy with a mustache and I didn't want to.

Monica Brooke, I watched the movie after reading the book. And although it is a good movie, it has one HUGE flaw. And I keep trying to figure out how they could make the movie without the flaw, but I don't think it's possible. Anyway, you know during the entire movie that both wives are the same person. Plus the movie tells the story in chronological order, but I liked how everything unfolded in the book better. It was a good movie, but everything that I liked so much about the book was spoiled in the movie.

Brooke I kept wondering about how they would do that aspect of the movie- because the best thing this novel had going for it was the mystery of what happened (and is happening) especially I wondered how they were going to keep her identity a surprise. And bummer that they kept it in chronological order, because I liked having to think back about the importance of certain events once you learned more about what was happening. any way, I am excited to see the movie. When I was reading this book on the airplane, a lady beside me told me that the movie was really good.