Liza's Reviews > Vanishing Acts

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

Nov 21, 07

Read in November, 2007

I'm in a Piccoult zone. THis is the second book of hers that I've read and I"ve just started a new one. I appreciate the depth of the topics she writes about, this one, the ethics of a father's decision to kidnap his daughter from a staggering, alcoholic mother. Was the daughter better off never knowing her mother? Was losing her daughter what the mother needed to get clean, the ultimate tough love test? Did the father have the right to make that decision for everyone based on his fears and discomforts in the situation? Were there other alternatives for a man, a single father, in the seventies?

Fact is, this is a very real situation that deserves very real attention. I think Jodi Piccoult touched on some of the more elusive elements of situations like these, and touched on them well.

So far, two books into her collection, I am very impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanishing Acts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Valerie I am so in your zone!!!!

message 2: by Shacoria (new)

Shacoria You should definitely read Perfect Match if you haven't already. It's one of Picoult's bests, along with Plain Truth

Norelle me too.i just completed The Pact, and House rules. sooooo topical and well written.