Heather's Reviews > Coraline

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, ya, fantasy
Read in August, 2009

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Genre: Young Adult

I should first say right up front that I read this book as part of The Four Month Challenge. One of the parts of the challenge was to read a book that was made into a movie. I had seen the film version of this about a week before I read the book, so accordingly this review will mention the film as well.

Every child has an imagination. Every child dreams of a world where everything is exactly how they want it to be, their parents never tell them “no”, and there is always their favorite foods to eat at dinner. Coraline Jones finds this perfect world on the other side of the door with her Other Mother and Other Father. But even though everything seems perfect, she quickly learns that all good things come to an end and do not come without consequences. One brave little girl goes on a mission to save her parents and some stray souls in her quest to get back home.

Reading this book was a short, pleasant break from my much longer historical fiction that I have been reading. There were fantastic characters and a fun, imaginative story line. The movie was very, very similar to the book (I think that was a good thing in this case as the book was so strong). In the movie there was a young boy character added that was not present in the book – I’m not sure that he was necessary. Other than that, there were not many differences between the two. I very much enjoyed both versions of this story. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a quick, light read or to any imaginative children out there.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coraline.

08/16/2009 page 0
08/17/2009 page 67
41.36% "This is going to be a fast read! A little different from the movie which I recently saw."
show 1 hidden update…