Kirsten's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 13, 2009

bookshelves: book-club
Read in August, 2009

I have some prejudices that I hold dear. One of them is that I hate books about the South and Southern writers in general. I know; it's stupid. That's why it's a prejudice. But it's mine and I like it. I blame The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. So I was both intrigued and confronted when I saw all the 5-star reviews for this book on both amazon and goodreads. How could it be such a great book AND be about Mississippi? Then I read it. In about 3 days. I could not stop reading this book and I am lonely and sad now that it has ended, even though it ended perfectly. Honestly, the whole thing was nearly perfect. The plot, which was much more suspenseful than I had anticipated, the backdrop of the beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement, and the characters who seem so almost casually sketched but are ingrained within your mind the moment they open their mouths.

It even had written out dialect and I didn't mind! It actually worked for me and flowed beautifully.

Seriously, this book is something of a miracle. I can't wait to see what Stockett writes next. If it's more about Jackson, Mississippi, I might even be first in line.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.