Matt's Reviews > Jaws

Jaws by Peter Benchley

Aug 13, 09

Read in August, 2009, read count: 2

I first read Jaws when I was 14 years old. I have not swam in the Ocean since. This summer, however, I went swimming in the waters of Catalina Island. This was the first time I set foot in the Ocean after reading Jaws 18 years ago.

I thought, therefore, it was time to re-read the book. It's really a marvelous read. Good characters, a quick plot, plenty of human and political drama, and the mystery and terror of the Great White Shark.

Jaws is a spectacular page turner that has me wishing to read more of Benchely's work.

I warn all those who've not read it though, Jaws is scary. I suppose there is just something very chilling and primal about a 20 foot predator lurking in the deep, dark, and largely unknown sea, coming to get us. The Shark looks like a monster and is something so beyond our element, so truly other .... it's really a wonder if you can read this book and swim.

But there is more to Jaws then this. The economics and politics of Amity Island, the conflicted relationship of Martin and Elen Brody, in short the human element is quite a read too. Of course there is much lurking deep in the psyche of each of this characters ... something big, scary, uncertain, and dangerous .... exactly like the great predatory fish feasting upon unsusupecting swimmers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jaws.