Dani Meier's Reviews > As a Driven Leaf

As a Driven Leaf by Milton Steinberg

M_50x66
Apr 19, 07

I greatly enjoyed this book. Steinberg did an amazing job describing the characters and giving me a full picture of all these grand tannaitic sages. Although Steingberg took some liberties with the plot, it seems he really stuck to the general character descriptions as depicted in gemaras and mishnas and I really got a great picture of what it was like to live in that time. Moreover, Elisha ben Avuya's struggle was so great and so interesting and even so relevant to today's times. I am merely left wondering, would Elisa ben Avuya still have become Acher had Modern Orthodoxy existed back in his time?! Or rather would so many of us have become "acher" as well?! Lastly, my only criticism, is that at times i felt as though steinberg were trying to get across his reconstructionist judaism agenda, and while it did seem to mimic elisha's struggles, i couldnt help but wonder if Steinberg was transferring his own woes and conflicts onto this tannaitic character. Bottom line, I now understand why it's required reading in so many Jewish History courses!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As a Driven Leaf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

rachel don't you know reading this book now makes you a heretic? you were supposed to read it in high school when you didn't know better :)

Dani Meier im actually really liking it! it's sooo interesting. for some reason i was never assigned it in high school. just seeing all the talmudic/tannaitic characters come to life is awesome. and if i can try to ansewr some of his issues, that makes me a non-heretic! read what you will, but dont believe all u read! well at least as far as novels are concerned.. with torah... well... believe all u read ;)

was acutally talking with margueya and steiner about having a double feature heights book club meeting on flowers for algernon and as a driven leaf - u game??

rachel i didn't say i didn't like it, too.
i never read "flowers for algernon" and my memory of "as a driven leaf" is dim, since i was about 14 when i read it. so i'll have to sit this book club out.

Dani Meier so read flowers and reread leaf!!! soo plant focused, huh?!