Chelsea's Reviews > Silent in the Sanctuary

Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn

Sep 25, 07

bookshelves: advance, historicalfiction, mystery, own, 2007
Read in September, 2007

I really enjoy the main character - Lady Julia Grey. I'm not a big fan of mysteries, and I'm more than willing to admit to being a snob when it comes to the excess of bad mystery series available today, but I really enjoyed this.

The mystery itself isn't as twisted as in the first book, Silent in the Grave, but the characters, especially the supporting ones, are more fun this time around.

Lady Julia is from a family of infamous crazies and rogues and scandal makers, and it doesn't much phase her. Since her husband passed away before the first book in the series, she has quickly come into her own. She's stubborn and intelligent and feisty, while still being gullible and wrong and too stubborn for her own good. Brisbane, her reluctant partner in crime-fighting, is annoyed with her more often than not, and they spend most of their time arguing - whey they're not staring at each other longingly.

That said, it's not a silly or funny series, and it feels a bit darker than most of the books I read. Well written and enjoyable (I finished the 560 page book over the course of two days), and certainly worth picking up the first one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Sanctuary.