Miss Kim's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

bookshelves: 2010, time-travel
Recommended to Miss Kim by: Teryl
Read from March 29 to April 02, 2010

4 1/2 stars

This is one of those books that everyone reads and you love it or hate it. I am not sure if I loved it, but it is a very good book! For me, it was a bit hard to follow at first, because I didn’t understand all the popping back in forth in time, and what was ‘the present’ and why it was happening.

Henry spontaneously time-travels. He seems to only travel to places in his past that he is familiar with. He meets his future wife when she is six, and he is middle aged. In reality, he is eight years older than her, but Clare grows up with him her entire life.

About 180 pages in, everything clicked for me, and the story grabbed me and sucked me in. I won’t go into much of a story synopsis, since there are so many better ones here on GR. I recommend it to everyone—you just have to have an open mind. I read some reviews comparing Henry to Humbert Humbert, but I never really got that feeling. He never does anything inappropriate when Clare is a child.

I was disappointed in the ending, but it doesn’t make my ‘end pissed me off shelf’, because I wasn’t really mad, just sad. I felt sad for Clare and for Henry both.
22 likes · Likeflag

03/29/2010 page 21
3.85% "March 29, Kim is 39
KIM> It was drizzling on a cold and damp afternoon in Michigan. Kim did not want to stop reading to go back to work." 6 comments
03/29/2010 page 21
3.85% "March 29, Kim is 38
KIM: It was drizzling on a cold and damp afternoon in Michigan. Kim did not want to stop reading to go back to work."
03/30/2010 page 60
10.99% "March 30, Kim is 38
KIM: The sun was baking my face, as I learn more about Clare and Henry. I am a bit confused by this book." 2 comments
03/31/2010 page 140
25.64% "March 30, Kim is 38
03/31/2010 page 180
32.97% "Finally, I had my lightbulb moment."
04/02/2010 page 546
100.0% "A bit emotionally exhausting!"
show 3 hidden updates…

Teryl I'm nervous, I hope you like it.

Miss Kim What if I HATE it?

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Great review Kim! Have you seen the movie?

message 4: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz This is one of those books I've wanted to read since it came out but there are so many mixed reviews that I don't know if I'll like it.

message 5: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Fantastic review, Kim!
I think i'll watch the movie first to get a feel for what i'll be jumping into.LOL

seton the ending didnt piss me off either since it was foreshadowed thruout the bk but I still didnt like it. I bawled thru the last 40% of the bk :-)

Teryl Well, I am glad you liked it. I cried buckets off and on starting about 1/2 way through it.

Miss Kim Thanks, ladies! I've not seen the movie, yet. I really think this book is worth a try. :)

message 10: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Great review Kim!!! I always wanted to look at the movie!