Ines's Reviews > Signs & Symbols: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings

Signs & Symbols by Kathryn Wilkinson

Aug 13, 09

bookshelves: spiritual
Read in August, 2009

This is a very visual book presenting the information through many beautiful illustrations, with annotations to help decode the meaning of the larger & more detailed pieces. It certainly is an inspirational work & were I able to devote more time to research, I would probably buy it to dip into.

The book is divided up into sections beginning with the Cosmos, which covers the visible planets & their satellites, natural phenomena like weather & the seasons plus a few on gold & precious stones; The Natural World, which breaks down into various animals, plants & fruit; Human Life; Myths & Religions; Society & Culture & lastly Symbol Systems (including writing, heraldry, flags, brands & logos).

It is certainly a valiant attempt to cover a vast range of information, hence the necessary brevity of each entry.

I imagine that this book would be helpful for artists, historians, spiritual seekers, researchers of the origins of myths & legends as well as a feast for the eyes of the casual reader.

It is not a 'cover to cover' read, but provides a framework for investigating your particular interest, although there may be references to the same concepts on several pages as some have global relevance in differing areas.

My only criticism would be the lack of depth of information, but it is already quite a hefty tome and it would become unwieldy were there too much added. Of course, having discovered some of the origins I can look those up in more detail elsewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Signs & Symbols.