K.'s Reviews > Broken

2592043
Oct 03, 09

bookshelves: audiobooks, 5-keepers
Read in September, 2009

"Broken" by Megan Hart; Contemporary cross between romance and women's erotic fiction

Adam and Sadie and Joe

I've needed to write this review for some time now, as it's definitely a book I don't want to forget about. So much is left out of the typical back cover synopsis and the editorial review on it, that I believe it can really put a reader off and lead them astray for the wrong reasons. Contrary to all three names above, this is a book that only deals with the ethics of what is considered cheating, rather than cheating itself. In fact, all three of the participants in this love triangle act with the most honorable and moral decision making that any human could be expected to in the situation. None of us are perfect, but these three people's actions and ability to remain steadfastly faithful under extremely trying circumstances is to be admired. I really felt for and loved all three main characters.

Sadie, our heroine (written in first person), meets Adam, the love of her life, at a college frat party. Adam is handsome, charming and ultimately poetic. Sadie is completely captivated by him, and shortly thereafter she decides to sweep him off of HIS feet by uncharacteristically pursuing him in an oh so sweet and subtle way. Adam has a girlfriend at the time Sadie meets him, but without a ring on her finger, Sadie is convinced it couldn't possibly matter since she's certain that Adam is HER fate, and the man she's meant to marry. Fortunately, Adam completely reciprocates the instant chemistry and magical feelings, and the two fall in love and marry.

After five years of wedded and passionate bliss, Sadie's world comes crashing down when Adam breaks his neck in a skiing accident and is rendered quadriplegic. It's a tragedy that no "young and in love" couple should ever have to face. But Sadie so deeply loves Adam; he's her soul mate and knight in shining armor, so she faces the future and prepares to spend the rest of her life taking care of Adam and morphing their marriage into one that can maintain the true love they've always felt for each other. Unfortunately, sex, a HUGE part of any passionate and loving marriage is no longer feasible in the traditional ways that are so necessary to our existence, and Sadie and Adam's marriage begins to deteriorate. Adam also struggles (naturally) with the residual effects of going from a virile and fully functioning man to one imprisoned in his own body. He rejects analysis and hunkers down within himself, drowning in depression issues with few tools to overcome them other than the steadfastness of Sadie's love - not always a good substitute when one's spouse is also trying to come to terms with their own feelings.

Unfortunately, as strong and convicted as Sadie is, she is only human, and as time moves on, finding herself lonely and fully comprehending the ramifications of a life without basic, human touch! Something she never bargained for when feeling she could "deal" with Adam's disability for a lifetime. A lifetime is an awful huge commitment to never be "held" in a man's arms again, much less all the other losses associated with an injury as devastating as Adam's.

Seeking shelter from a sudden downpour one afternoon on her lunch break, Sadie finds a bench in an alcove and runs into Joe, likewise looking to stay dry. They sit and find compatability in friendly chat and eat their lunch together. Soon Sadie and Joe find themselves meeting at the bench on a Friday once each month, and begin to know each other more personally. Joe, a single man, slowly begins to open up and relate the stories of his sexual encounters as a bachelor to Sadie, and Sadie finds she absorbs them like a sponge. They somehow fill the void in her sexless existence, but she soon begins to struggle with moral and ethical conscience issues as her feelings grow in a natural progression in relation to Joe -- the type that force one to face whether they are "cheating in their heart" on the one they love.

This book was wonderful. I adored Sadie's journey, fell in love with Joe and Adam both, and found myself in the "what would I do were I in Sadie's shoes" so many times, I can't even count. I've often thought about those circumstances in my own marriage (being married to my own prince charming), and all I can say is that Hart writes Sadie in terms we can all both understand and relate to. Right up to the end of the book, all three characters are honorable and people any of us could admire, and under these circumstances, that's a pretty hard bill to sell, when there are absolutely two heros in this book for the reader.

Just a wonderful story that I would recommend to anyone. I felt it had a definite HEA based on the premise of the book, so don't let the unconventionality of it scare you off. For all of you that claim you love an "angsty" romance . . . well here you go! Another winner for Hart.

Erotic/romantica fiction with mainly conventional sexual situations; Some borderline (light) "unconventional" sexual scenes also graphically depicted (participants are not necessarily the main character's sexual scenes), some minor graphic language during sexual enocounters; Non-violent; Not recommended for anyone under 18 years of age

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

09/20/2009 page 263
85.39% "Megan Hart writes the most interesting and heartfelt "circumstances" for her subject matter. "Broken" is captivating! ;)"
09/20/2009 page 384
100% "Aww! That actually was a fairly uplifting book! Very deep, but well done, and the heroine made the most ethical decisions possible IMO! ;)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Adrienne You must let me know how you find this one:) My copy of Deeper arrived to-day and I'm desperate to start, but I've 2 other other books on the go and can't make up my mind whether to ditch or finish them first.

message 2: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Hi Adrienne: So far, so good! Very interesting premise. Again, not "romance." This one is definitely more about "women's erotic fiction," but I'm loving it. Hart just ALWAYS delivers a story that I can really see myself in the heroine's situation/shoes, or, if not, she writes a compelling character that is likeable and engrossing. I can't wait to find out the outcome of this story. As usual . . . I'm torn between decisions for the heroine, and I think that's exactly what Hart does so well. I "feel" for everyone! Don't expect a classic "romance" here, but I know you enjoy Hart's books as much as I do, so don't miss this one either!

BTW -- I couldn't get "Layover" on Kindle (since it's not one that Amazon has decided to publish for HQ in Kindle format yet, and HQ has that "nasty" protected mobi-pocket, so I can't just download it to Kindle direct.) I'm going to have to "suck it up" and get the e-book for my computer and read it off of my computer (yuk!). Nothing worse than that! LOL! My laptop is high velocity so it gets pretty hot sitting on one's "lap" for a long time while reading. Fortunately, "Layover" is a short-story! YAY! ;)
K.

KarenH K, perhaps it isn't a classic romance but do you not feel something developing between Joe and Sadie?

message 4: by K. (last edited Sep 20, 2009 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. K2 [Hey - there you are!;):] Most definitely K. I would even call this a "romance" to me personally, because it deals with so many romantic elements. I'm definitely torn between Sadie's feelings for both Adam and Joe (just as you had told me I would be). Wow, talk about a "huge life changing question" though. Puts a real heavy "NOTE" on the "in sickness and in health" issue. My hubby and I being married for so many years and having been "fortunate" enough to have shared a lot of "life" together makes me know I could handle what she is going through at this point, but at her young age . . . REALLY a very tough call there! I'm just now at the point of the book where Joe meets "Pricilla" (I think that's her name), and it's a bit of a changing point for him and the women he's met as well. I am so TORN as to how both of them should react/act on their feelings.

Thanks again K2 for being the one to introduce me to this author. She's a bit of a change up in my "reading" of strictly defined romance, which is refreshing, but still has all the "romantic" elements that draw me to her stories. Good call!
K.

ETA: Just finished! WOW - Great book, and certainly an HEA! LOL!

message 5: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani K, how HEA was the ending? promising for a better future, like 'Deeper', or really happy? Was it more emotional than Deeper or less? I loved 'Deeper' but I can't handle something so intense so soon.

message 6: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Fani: Oh my, it's a wonderful HEA, but from the beginning there are some factors in motion that are inherently sad, no doubt about it and definately make you feel you will have some divided loyalties. The book is poignant, yet interesting and like most of Hart's books, causes the reader to go down a "real life" decision making path. I really loved this book. I'd say overall it's emotional but more uplifting at the end then Deeper was.

message 7: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani Thanks K! I might be tempted to give it a try after all.

Adrienne I've got this on my TBR I just love her way of writting, and to TBH after reading 'Deeper' I just want to read more:) I 've exceeded my book budget again this month but next month I'll order a couple more of hers, perhapes this one and Dirty which has alot of positive reviews.

message 9: by Shawna (last edited Oct 03, 2009 05:29PM) (new) - added it

Shawna Fabulous review, K! :) I've got several Megan Hart books on my TBR pile that I need to get to!

message 10: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Thanks Shawna! It's taken me a while (I've been really busy), but I think you would enjoy this one. It's really "different" but different in a good way. The best thing about Megan Hart is, boy can she really develop a character! That's what makes them "stay" with the reader so much longer than other books.
K.

message 11: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, K! I'm not sure that this is my kind of book though. But I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

message 12: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Great review K.!

message 13: by Rane (new)

Rane Awesome Review K. *adds book to wishlist*

message 14: by Dina (new)

Dina Haunting review, K.! I'm a wuss and I'm still scared of this book, but I'll keep it on my watch. I can't take that much angst now.

message 15: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani Loved your review K! Now that I'm over the initial shock from Deeper, I think I can stand another heartbreaking Hart novel, in the near future. Thanks for getting this author into my notice:)

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen WOW! WOW! WOW, your review gave me goose bumps K. I really am gonna have to pick this book up on day. I do have it in ebook and paperback but I'm afraid to read this story because I know it will make me ball my eye's out.

message 17: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 15, 2010 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adrienne Kathleen I've read it since my last post and loved it! there's so much going on, on the emotional front a tear jerker, but you travel the journey with Sadie and come out the other end with her. One of my favourites:)

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Great review, K! I definitely see why it was a winner for you. Thanks for taking the time to explain how Sadie and Joe ended up meeting like that often. I was quite curious about how exactly that situation occurred.

Adrienne K you've read Deeper, Sadie and Joe make an appearance somewhere but I'm at a loss to know where,can you remember?

message 20: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Catherine wrote: "Great review, K! I definitely see why it was a winner for you. Thanks for taking the time to explain how Sadie and Joe ended up meeting like that often. I was quite curious about how exactly tha..."

Thanks Catherine! :) I wrote in response to KarenH above in the thread, My hubby and I being married for so many years and having been "fortunate" enough to have shared a lot of "life" together makes me know I could handle what she is going through at this point, but at her young age . . . REALLY a very tough call there! I think that's TRULY where I struggled the most with Sadie's situation. My hubby and I have been together for more than 20 years. I have LOTS of memories to cherish together and we've literally and physically merged our lives in a way sometimes only time can accomplish and age can "seal the deal" on. I loved my DH truly at first sight, but to have our life ripped away like Sadie's and Adam's in those early years as compared to facing something like that now ... well, I just don't know if I could have sustained our relationship on 5 years of memories and 50 or 60 years of being a "caretaker" to an invalid. And that's the reality of it ... not the "romanticized" version most of us romance readers like to fantacize about. After 20+ years and having raised a family and lived plenty of life, I think I can honestly say there's no question I could do it now. But no, that's definitely not Sadie's base for her decisions. For her age .... she was incredibly steadfast in my opinion.

It's been a wonderful discussion Catherine. You kind of got to "experience the book" without having to read it! LOL! :D
K.

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I enjoyed the discussion with you as well. :)

message 22: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Adrienne wrote: "K you've read Deeper, Sadie and Joe make an appearance somewhere but I'm at a loss to know where,can you remember?"

AARG! NO, I can't remember!?! I know (now that I've read several of Hart's books) that she does this often, but "Deeper" was the first book I experienced of hers. And to be honest ... I was so horrified, creeped out, heart-broken, misty and truly HAUNTED (ya - all that stuff - LOL!) by that book ... it's no wonder I can't remember Sadie or Joe being mentioned. Do they know each other already by "Deeper"? I would imagine they do since she wrote "Deeper" long after she wrote "Broken." Hmm. Maybe as customers at the ice cream parlor? Seems like I remember Bess crossing paths with a couple in the ice-cream parlor and pondering how her and Nick's relationship would turn out in comparison? ... or is that my imagination?

I definitely want to read/listen to "Deeper" again Adrienne ... but I have to REALLY be prepared for a revisit to that book!! ;)
K.

Quinn Excellent review, K! I'm looking forward to discussing Deeper with you when I finally pick it up.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, K! This book is going to push a lot of my emotional buttons but sounds like it'll will be an amazing read. Quinn has been highly recommending it to me.

message 25: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Thanks Lady Jayne! Go for it! Just make sure you're not too busy because you won't be able to put it down, and when you do, it will be because it's just wrenching your heart. But of course, you'll want to pick it right back up again because you'll HAVE to know how it all turns out!! Yup -- it's one of "those" stories. ;)

message 26: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill I read this book quite some time ago because of K's recommendation and I still remember and think of it occasionally. I am not a big fan of romantica, but this book was exceptional. I can't recommend it strongly enough.