Michelle's Reviews > Infidel

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Sep 16, 09

bookshelves: book-club
Recommended to Michelle by: My dad :)
Read in September, 2009 — I own a copy

My dad got this book for his 50th birthday and passed it along to me when he was through with it. I suggested it to my book club and many moons later, we got around to reading it. This book prompted what was possibly our longest discussion--a two-hour long talk about what we liked; how we admired Hirsi Ali's strength, even though we sometimes didn't like her too much; relationships between men and women, relationships between fathers and daughters, mothers and daughters; the disappointment of hypocrisy; what we thought of the Islamic faith; it just went on and on. We all learned a lot about Somalia, the Dutch government(!), Islam, and the perseverance and pain that this one woman went through, all in a very readable, fast-paced book. (Perseverance and pain...that might be the theme of our book club....) Try it out! Even if you don't love it as much as my book club, I think you'll still get something out of it. We all definitely want to learn more--"HOW does the Dutch government work again?!", "Maybe we should read Approaching the Qur'an...", and "What is Hirsi Ali doing now?" were all questions raised from our meeting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infidel.