Eloise Meachum's Reviews > South of Broad

South of Broad by Pat Conroy

Aug 12, 2009

it was ok
Read in August, 2009

This is a difficult book to review.

I loved Pat Conroy's The Prince of Tides, and I think he is an immensely talented writer and storyteller. South of Broad, however, is not one of his best works. There were far too many jarring grammatical errors (which occurred as early as page three), the dialogue was awful and the storyline over-the-top dramatic. That said, though, I still found it a compelling read, and Conroy at his worst is still better than 99% of the writers out there. Parts of the book were magical, such as the story of the main character's parents' romance and the relationship between the boy and an antique dealer. But many of the characters came across as stereotyped caricatures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of Broad.

02/03/2016 marked as: read

Jody Schwartz I just started reading this and I was shocked by the grammatical errors. Wanted to take out my red pen! I keep thinking that it was purposeful because of the narrator.

Lisa I think you put it really well, I will finish this book, but it had a few too many predictable characters. It was enjoyable on a certain level when you ignored the "Danielle Steele" likenesses of this book.

Nancy You nailed it girl.

Elizabeth Evans What was the grammatical error on page 3?

Angelica Don't want to nitpick, but "occurred" is spelled with two "r"s, since we're getting into grammatical errors and all...

Ashlee "Conroy at his worst is still better than 99% of the writers out there." I agree 100%.

Nancy I thought the grammatical errors were because I had a readers copy!

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Scalcione I loved the book...a little difficult in the beginning but I liked how Conroy introduced characters and later in the book you read the connect to the character. I hated to see it end.

Roxanne Loughlin Pat Conroy paints Charleston with such a vivid paintbrush that I want to live there, to have always lived there. While the story was not his best, the journey was very worthwhile.