Mark's Reviews > Columbine

Columbine by Dave Cullen

May 06, 2015

Read in April, 2015

The book was as good as it's reputation (i.e. VERY good). I'm not all that interested in true crime, but this story intrigued me because of the exceptional journalism, and the fact that my work takes me to this Denver suburb at least once a month. It took a long time to get the nerve to start reading it, but once I did I couldn't put it down.

Also, the story most of us remember is the one the media seized upon in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy, searching for meaning but latching onto a lot of very wrong information. The real story is both more chilling, more complex, and more upsetting than the notion of some picked-on loners acting out teen rage. That wasn't it. Instead, it was the volatile combination of a psychopath and a depressive, which led to an improvised shootout after plans to blow up an Oklahoma City style bomb (literally) fizzled. Also, this wasn't a random event or act of passion. It was a calculating plan, and some adults in the community sensed something tragic was brewing before it happened. The authorities were told multiple times. But it also shows the complexities of teen boys, their depressions, and their venting.

Finally, the spiritual response of the community, victims' families, and some clergy was a powerful part of the story for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Columbine.

04/26/2015 marked as: read

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer This book haunted me for weeks after I read it.